What's new

Sunday, May 15th - Arakawa/Green Line

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
When: Sunday, May 15th @ 8:00am
Where: Family Mart, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=35.793599,+139.685267&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=35.793946,139.686581&sspn=0.00386,0.008256&ie=UTF8&z=18
Climbing: 1500-2000m
Distance: 155-170km estimated

As usual, the basic plan is to ride up the Arakawa, out to the climb, up to the Green Line and from there some yet to be determined loop back to Tokyo. Expect minimal traffic and congestion, and long turns between when you actually need to stop and put your foot on the ground.

So far we have me, Takaaki and Chris joining the ride.

Yep, I miss my greenline and I'm in.
It's gonna be a nice weather to ride this Sunday!
:bike:

I'll come up with this if I could survive tomorrow's battle royale.. :eek:

Pete....map link ain't working.

Is there a meet point farther West? I'm not sure the route you guys take but is there somewhere in Iruma or Hitaka that I could make it out to to meet you guys?

Pete, as you see the Battle Royale thread, I'm totally dead and tomorrow's negative now. :eek:uch: But will see you soon!

Kimm

Hmmm, Is 'Chris' me, or another Chris? I think I did say on the last ride that I'd be coming along for this, but unfortunately tomorrow is not doable now.

A pity, coz it's a great ride and the weather should be sweet tomorrow. But I think I'll hit the Takao ride next Saturday.

Enjoy,
Chris.

I'm sorry to hear you can't make it. To answer your question, I was referring to Chris Kossowski... is that you? :confused:

Pete man, next time you ought to join the TCC Penis Race....you've been doing too much GreenLine lately !!! Stay away from that line :D:D!

Hey Tom,

I had seriously considered coming out today, but while I can hold my own, I am just not in that league. I'd have no problem completing it in a respectable time, just no where near the top dogs. That being said, perhaps I'll jump in on the next one just for the extra dose of pain, suffering and humiliation. :D

As for the Green Line, I have to say I am addicted. It's just a beautiful area with countless climbs and descents. I'm yet to explore them all. And then of course there is the rolling Green Line itself which is pretty scenic. Additionally, after a bit of trial and error, I've got a couple of routes out and back that have excellent surfaces and very, very minimal traffic for the little bit that you are on an actual highway. From central Tokyo and back, you can literally ride 160km and more and only have to stop to put your foot down less than a dozen times. It's just a winning combination!

I'm off to Europe this Thursday for two weeks, but when I get back I'm planning a big loop going over Arima Toge and dropping down into Chichibu, from there coming back up the backside of Shiraishi Toge and back towards Tokyo. You should join us on one of these rides this summer! :)

Ha, no, not me - I'm Mathews.

Enjoy the ride, have fun explaining 'docking' to everyone, and hope your soba comes a little quicker this time!

Chris.

Absolutely Pete! Green Line is fantastic and it is a pity so few TCC members have actually ridden it. I once combined the Green Line with the Katsunuma Fruits Line in one day...the most incredible ride I ever did (but - very unfortunately - (most likely) irrepeatable).

Arima-toge...passable already?? Not so sure....better check out beforehand Pete! (would love to find out - had a hell of a time there last summer with Ludwig on our way back from Karuizawa).

Weather looks great tomorrow and I would have loved to meet you along the route at some point but my consciousness tells me I should now be resting before next week's TOITO (Tokyo-Itoigawa).

Hey Tom,

I had seriously considered coming out today, but while I can hold my own, I am just not in that league. I'd have no problem completing it in a respectable time, just no where near the top dogs. That being said, perhaps I'll jump in on the next one just for the extra dose of pain, suffering and humiliation. :D

As for the Green Line, I have to say I am addicted. It's just a beautiful area with countless climbs and descents. I'm yet to explore them all. And then of course there is the rolling Green Line itself which is pretty scenic. Additionally, after a bit of trial and error, I've got a couple of routes out and back that have excellent surfaces and very, very minimal traffic for the little bit that you are on an actual highway. From central Tokyo and back, you can literally ride 160km and more and only have to stop to put your foot down less than a dozen times. It's just a winning combination!

I'm off to Europe this Thursday for two weeks, but when I get back I'm planning a big loop going over Arima Toge and dropping down into Chichibu, from there coming back up the backside of Shiraishi Toge and back towards Tokyo. You should join us on one of these rides this summer! :)

Well I've taken it on myself to be the unofficial TCC Ambassador for the Green Line and surrounding areas (Shomaru Toge, Yamabushi Toge, Arima Toge, etc.) I intend to learn every worthwhile rindo and toge around there. I'll likely be doing 80% of my riding in that area this summer. Regarding Arima Toge, I would wager it's passable now, but I won't be heading there for at least another month or so anyway, so no worries. :)

As for tomorrow, definitely save yourself for the upcoming big one! There'll be plenty of chances to join us this summer!

Arima Touge is definitely open, I did it last Sunday, apparently it opened during golden week. First time for me; it was in generally good condition all the way up, though on the way down on the Chichibu side there is one rough patch you come to. Great climb, great views, you almost can`t believe somewhere like that is easily rideable from Tokyo. We went up the Tama via Ohme and out.

Cheers for the status report on Arima Toge! Yeah, it's a great climb and can frequently be done without hardly seeing another soul. It definitely has a remote, isolated feeling about it!

Back
Top Bottom