Ride Sunday March 22: Hakone

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
大田区
start: Odawara station ~8:00AM Sunday (could start a bit later ~8:45 if it makes train-ride over easier, lmk)
end: Odawara station (late afternoon?)
pace: moderately strenuous (fair bit of climbing for not very long distance)

Update - cribbed a more legit looking route that is also more convenient to access from Odawara, after original route was pointed out as being dame for bicycles. Anyways! Hakone. Never been. See how it goes.

Post or PM if interested!

Last edited:

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Nice aea, but the Turnpike Hakone road and the Ashiko Skyline road are not open to bicycles. Bit of a shame are they have good views. Some great views on the rest of the route though.

sean-e

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2019
大田区
Pleasant Sunday cruise. Initial bit along the coast from Odawara had considerable traffic with the holiday weekend. The first climb is a very gradual ascent and quite pleasant, though was popular with motos doing high speed loops and burning u-turns into the pavement. Bit cloudy but still had some nice views around the lake.
IMG_2672.jpg

The wind was quite strong along the top ridge. Quite a bit of traffic towards the center of town, and the pitch got considerably steeper in parts.
IMG_2674.jpg

@thooms fancy rims didn't melt when we got stuck behind a bus on the descent and @Mallorquin managed to set a new personal downhill max speed, so it was all good :warau: Another place checked off the list!

Karl

Faster than molasses
Feb 7, 2011
Yokohama
Thanks for the report. That ride is on my list but been putting it off due to my traffic-averse nature. Looks like you had fun though.

Reactions: Kangaeroo

Ruda

Warming-Up
Nov 22, 2019
Hi!
Sorry for bringing the post back up.
I`m planning a similar loop soon. The route you took was the one fixed on the first post? All of the roads are okay for bikes?
Thanks!