What's new

Sunday June 23rd - Bike Handling Skills Workshop

Doug3

Maximum Pace
Jun 24, 2010
Some people have expressed an interest in learning some basic and intermediate bike handling skills. I am thinking to have a 1/2 day+ opportunity to get together and learn/practice some skills such as:

Basic:
pedal use
braking skills
straight line riding
safely looking back
cornering skills
object avoidance (swerve/hop)
slow speed bike handling

Intermediate:
group riding
signaling your presence
paceline
echelon
bumping
wheel overlap

I have found a location to do this in Komazawa. I think this is pretty much suited to riders of most abilities who may want to brush up or maybe get a different perspective on things.

If anyone is interested in joining, please send me a pm. I would like to limit the number of participants to 6.

Will this be a morning or afternoon session?

Initial thoughts were morning to finish around noon. Then maybe an optional group ride in the afternoon. But I am flexible if there is a strong group preference.

I am quite interested in this but the location is right across town, unfortunately.

I am very interested in this~~ except I can't join this weekend... but if there's another scheduled, I'll do my best to join!!

I'm interested. I'd have to ride across town too, but that would help warm up bike skills :)

I am very interested in this~~ except I can't join this weekend... but if there's another scheduled, I'll do my best to join!!

Same here, count me in if you schedule it again.

I was interested.... until I noticed it had nothing to do with Franz!
No offense, but I'll wait for pro coaching. If it's good enough for a grand tour winner then it's good enough for me!

For those of you that have an interest in this, could you please send me a PM with your preferred time options (ranked). For Sunday the 23rd.

A) 9am-12pm
B) 12pm-3pm
C) 3pm-6pm

Based on everyone's responses, the workshop will take place at 3-6pm on Sunday the 23rd.

For those who have indicated they will attend, I will PM with the meeting point details.

There had been some questions about a fee. There is no charge for this.

Still a couple of slots left if anyone else would like to join.

This, was awesome. Thanks so much to Doug3 for taking the time out of your day to do this workshop, it was exactly what I wanted; exactly the kind of thing that I'd hoped to get from a cycling club. Really appreciate it, and if it ever happens again I can strongly recommend it.

And you were right, I do hope to have a ride with you guys by the end of the year!

Nice also to put faces to names and names to usernames. Cheers guys.

What Sheep said.

Now I know that I don't know how to ride a bike. I need to bunnyhop at will. Something stopped me. As Mike ably demonstrated, this something wasn't my bike. No, it must have been some bunnyhopping neurosis or something. Next time, I'll down a beer first. (The beer won't help, but it's a handy excuse for a beer.) Once I can bunnyhop, I can join a paceline, etc, and then I'll be able to do fun stuff like elbowing people out of my way (already practised with bloaker, a perfect gentleman).

(I need some muscles too, but I'm slowly working on that.)

Thank you, Doug!

It was good to put faces to names, too. And lastly it was good that nobody followed me to Hasegawa, which turned out to be closed. (I'll be back there some day soon.)

OK - After some coffee I am better suited for feedback.

It was certainly nice to put names and faces together. Thanks to microcord, my 30 year old bike was not the oldest one there.
If offered again, I would certainly recommend it not only for a basics refresher, but also a good opportunity to hear what others are used to.
Different groups have different perspective on how to do things... In this case, an elbow flick, I have ridden with groups that pat their hip on the side they will pull off, etc...
So always good to have more of a view of what others may do (right, wrong of indifferent).

If I could offer one suggestion... I think opening the session with 'how to not tighten a seat collar' was unnecessary and could be skipped in the future.

If I could offer one suggestion... I think opening the session with 'how to not tighten a seat collar' was unnecessary and could be skipped in the future.

hehe. Fortunately due to the convenient location, I was able to have this sorted for 1000 yen at a nearby bike shop. I think if you BYOB, you will be fine and miss this experience....

:p

Thanks everyone for the feedback about the workshop. We were lucky with the weather, and that there were no incidents. Appreciate everyone's perspective on the different skill exercises.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Back
Top Bottom