What's new

Sunday, June 17th -Green Line (Easy Version)

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Due to the heat, I'm doing an "easy/short/relaxed" version of the Green Line, which will mean a bit less distance, climbing and overall exertion, perhaps 165km and 1500m for distance and vertical respectively. There'll be just one significant climb not two, and as usual on my rides it will be WATT (wait at the top). It should be a good ride for both the regulars and any strong intermediate riders looking to get a taste of the next level. I am thinking about a couple of possible routes that will include at least one good descent! We'll take breaks as needed and will have soba at a nice shop up on the Green Line

INFO:
Meet Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 1400-1500m
Distance: 145km

I'm working on the precise route and will post that later, but we'll be taking the Arakawa out and back and will experience very little traffic. As of this afternoon, Tim Smith and Mike Sims-Williams have indicated they'll be joining this ride. I hope you can join us! :D

Route

OK, here is the route. This is about as easy and as short as it gets and still actually do the Green Line. I hope some people will be inspired to come out and join us for what will be a beautiful ride. Additionally, if everyone is feeling genki and if everyone agrees there is always the possibility to add more, but we'll only do that if everyone wants to. If you haven't ridden the Green Line before and you were thinking maybe you would try, this is the ride to do it on! :cool:

BTW, the route I have marked is less than 134km round trip, so it's even shorter than I originally thought!

Is there another nice spring on the way up, like the one where we stopped on Saturday? That was very very nice!

Unfortunately not, but there are a couple of really nice soba shops up on the Green Line located at about the 67km mark where we will have lunch. I'm confident that you'll be very happy! :p

this looks like fun! i'm still new and haven't done any group rides yet but this looks like a good place to start. the climbs look a little steep for my normal gearing (46x15 fixed) but if i can find time before sunday to put a larger rear cog on the other side of my hub then i'll probably see you on sunday morning.

Hi Patrick,

Tim Smith has done all these rides with me on his fixie and is the resident expert, so hopefully he'll chime in here shortly and offer his advice at what gearing would be best. In any event, I hope you can make it. I look forward to meeting you Sunday morning!

Hi Patrick- that is very close to what I've been riding up there - but for this weekend, and the heat especially, will probably run a 49x19 or 44x17 - I prefer the 15,17,19 cogs cause you need the skid patches. Or , if you want to flip flop, then run the 46x15 for transits and the flip to the 46x19 for the rouleurs. That's a very fun way to ride the Greenline as most of the climbs are relatively short and rolling - so the geared riders will not really gain either way on you.

Up for this.

Can you provide a map so I can figure out a meeting spot.

No doubt going to die on the climb, but all good :D

Haha.

OK.

Middle of that big bridge / where the river meets, Route 16, you mean?

tim, thanks for the advice on gearing. i've got a 18t cog that i'm planning on using. i need to lengthen my chain before i can use it but i think i can do that before sunday. i'm pretty sure i still have extra links from the last time i cut my chain. worst case i'll walk the 12% and steeper parts. i'm not proud.

Patrick - I don't expect much walking from you - you're tough as nails already. I love the Greenline because it really is 'fixie paradise' and all the hills are within range of any gearing. The soba and view are definitely worth it! A note to anyone - we are not 'mad men' bent on crushing allcomers for king of the hill. The beauty of these Greenline 'tours' is that Pete has plotted out some really fine riding across a variety of roads whcih challenge riders of any skill. There are none too long, too steep or too short to separate the group and the landscape is definitely some of the best around. Not to mention shade especially at this time of the year.

BTW - The Diablo is open for testing tomorrow. I may configure it with superlight alpine wheels, so if anyone is interested in riding a 'Pro Tour' level climbing machine - this is it.

Hi Pete,

Steve and I will be meeting you at the same place as last time on the Arakawa.

I hope you don't mind but after 顔振峠 we'll be leaving the group and then we'll make our way to Ome and Yanagisawa Toge and Enzan.

Lee

Hi Pete,

Thomas and I would like to join you this time. Is it possible to meet you at intersection of Arakawa and route 463 (13km mark on your route)?

We will also leave you at the same place as Lee and Steve (顔振峠) and head back home (Fuchu) through Shomaru toge, Ome and Tamagawa.

I'll PM you my mobile e-mail just in case.

Back
Top Bottom