What's new

Sunday, July 15th - Tsuchizaka & Beyond

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Unfortunately, I was unable to make it out to Deej's Oume ride, so I've got to get a big ride in!! This is the course that I intended to do last weekend, but got rained out twice. So let's give it another go, shall we!

We'll be hitting some climbs and rindos on the west and north side of Chichibu with two good ridge line runs. All climbs will be wait at the top (WATT).

INFO:
Meet Time: 6:30am
Meet Place: Family Mart (HERE)
Climbing: 2400-2600m
Distance: 170-180km
Route: HERE

There will be lots of rindo's, greenery, climbing, bombing descents, and minimal traffic! It should be a good one!

Would love to give the new ride a test but unfortunately this weekend sees the start of my adventures in Tokyo with that exchange group from America.

Next time, for sure!

Just set them loose with an assistant. I mean they must have at least 5 words of Japanese amongst the all of them, no? Hell, when I first came to Japan my coworker (drunk at that time) called me just said 'Take the Orange bus from the Airport to Hachiko' , 'We'll find you there!' And you know what? They did!

Would love to give the new ride a test but unfortunately this weekend sees the start of my adventures in Tokyo with that exchange group from America.

Next time, for sure!

I can't believe it myself (after that hard ride today), but I'm up for this.
Only, since I hope to be back home at around 15:00, I'll bail out somewhere.

Looking at the map, we won't be crossing the railway beyond Chichibu until the goal, so....maybe I'll catch the Seibu-line from Chichibu.
I won't be able to do the exploring part with you Pete, but hope to chime in for part of the ride.

See you at Fami-Ma tomorrow!

I can't believe it myself (after that hard ride today), but I'm up for this.
Only, since I hope to be back home at around 15:00, I'll bail out somewhere.

Looking at the map, we won't be crossing the railway beyond Chichibu until the goal, so....maybe I'll catch the Seibu-line from Chichibu.
I won't be able to do the exploring part with you Pete, but hope to chime in for part of the ride.

See you at Fami-Ma tomorrow!

LOL! You're a trooper Chikako!! See you in the morning! :)

I'll be joining you as well, Pete. Seems my cold is on the downswing. A little ride in the hills should nail it shut. Want to try out the Zonconlan as well.

Have other commitments tomorrow, but hope you have a great ride. Was hoping to see you today Pete.

Tim, I have the Zonconlan on my new Ti bike, and I think it is great. I know saddles are very personal, but, well, hope it works for you.

Apparently I'm not as tough as Chikako, because right now I'm really tired and will very happily be doing nothing tomorrow.

Have a good one!

Have other commitments tomorrow, but hope you have a great ride. Was hoping to see you today Pete.

Tim, I have the Zonconlan on my new Ti bike, and I think it is great. I know saddles are very personal, but, well, hope it works for you.

Yeah, I'm sorry that I had to miss today's ride, but I've got a 2 year old and a 1 month old. Sh*t happens! ;)

Pete - I wish I could make it tomorrow, but I have other plans. We missed you today! I look forward to catching you on the next one!

Tom

Pete, thanks for another great ride today, although I'm aware I'm missing the best part you and Tim are up to now.
Was a nice summer ride, hearing the cicadas and seeing the streams along the way.
I am happily resting myself on the express train I caught from Chichibu.

Tim, thanks a whole lot for your course on Shiraishi and more.
Will get back to you re. my seat post.

Chikako, you are one tough lady, going out for another long ride today after yesterday's hard ride! My deep respect! I'm just sitting at home in front of the sempuki with a glass of ice water, recovering from yesterday's adventure.

I wish I'd offered you one the home-made energy bars yesterday as we talked about recipes, as I fell behind on the Takayama climb and we didn't meet again.

Pete, thanks for another great ride today, although I'm aware I'm missing the best part you and Tim are up to now.
Was a nice summer ride, hearing the cicadas and seeing the streams along the way.
I am happily resting myself on the express train I caught from Chichibu.

Tim, thanks a whole lot for your course on Shiraishi and more.
Will get back to you re. my seat post.

You're welcome! It's always a pleasure to have you along! How was the Tsuchizaka climb and descent?

The valley we turned off into and the following climb were really great, as was the following 11km ridgeline run, and the descent down the north side of Tsuchizaka. The climb that we did after that though was PAINFUL!! IMHO, I'd say it makes Mikuni look a little wimpy. There were extended steep sections that were insane! I pride myself on never geting off the bike on a climb, but I had to get off 4 times. I've never stopped more than once before today on any climb, and I've only done that maybe twice since I started cycling. On top of that, it was so gruelling that I yacked my guts out less than 1km from the summit. IMHO, it was a f*cking tough climb!

That being said, once we reached the top, the ridgeline run was amazing! We had an absolutely beautiful 15km descent! I must be a bit twisted, but I have to say, it made all the suffering worthwhile! All in all an epic day!! :eek:

Today's RWGPS data.

Pete, I'm sorry I had to miss your ride again today... I needed this whole morning doing nothing just to recover a bit from yesterday's ride. I am not as tough as Chikako.

Pete, I'm sorry I had to miss your ride again today... I needed this whole morning doing nothing just to recover a bit from yesterday's ride. I am not as tough as Chikako.

LOL, no problem Eugen. And, regarding the toughness thing... apparently few are! :p

Again, another amazing Greenline (and beyond) adventure. Just what I need for upcoming Haute Route. I took it easy(er) on this ride and it was great! The last climb was a killer, though, I fell twice, have nicked my front wheel with my shoe so that it stopped my bike! Chikako you really hung in there! Awesome job. Pete - we gotta get you on a compact to tackle those 25%+ grades! I checked my weight and dropped below 60kg!!! Ouch! That means I lost about 3kg of fluids even after I had consumed a liter of milk, 1 beer, Orangina , Mountain Dew and more water at the END fo the ride!

Again, another amazing Greenline (and beyond) adventure. Just what I need for upcoming Haute Route. I took it easy(er) on this ride and it was great! The last climb was a killer, though, I fell twice, have nicked my front wheel with my shoe so that it stopped my bike! Chikako you really hung in there! Awesome job. Pete - we gotta get you on a compact to tackle those 25%+ grades! I checked my weight and dropped below 60kg!!! Ouch! That means I lost about 3kg of fluids even after I had consumed a liter of milk, 1 beer, Orangina , Mountain Dew and more water at the END fo the ride!

Agreed about needing to get on a compact! I'm working on it! As for liquid loss, I weighed myself this morning and again when I got home this eveing. Even after a bit of rehydration, I had lost about 2.5kg today.

Back
Top Bottom