What's new

Ride Sunday Greenline….ish

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
@Mlac Peek , @GrantT, maybe @kawa and @theBlob will be heading out to the green line/east chichibu area for a ride. (fact)Starting early from the spaceship(fact). It may involve heading out to yamabushi, the temple climb, kasayama(conjecture) and then back down the river (fact).

We will be back at the spaceship at about 3pm (definite fact), so however many kms and climbs we can cram in before that time.
Anyone is welcome, and anyone can bail whenever they like for the train.
Pace will be decent, and there won't be much effin about, because @Mlac Peek has been looking unusually menacing of late(fact).

I'll try to post a more definitive description of the route before then if there is any interest.

Any details on the route?

What time do you expect to pass through Hanno, and which is the temple climb?

Route is going to be a flexible thing, but we will head up the river over monomiyama around through ogose to iimori toge (temple climb) from the top who knows but we are planning to head north towards nihongi area. The whole ride is open to suggestions of those that come along. But given the rain and the amount of leaves that are around the more well used roads will be better options I would think.

I would expect us to hit ogose area at about 8:30 ish

Ah, ok.
I thought you might be coming through Hanno to hit Yamabushi from the Naguri side.

That's possible, but I was thinking to avoid the 463 in the semi dawn light.

Another epic day in the mountains. Set off early and three of us met at the Spaceship at 6:30am. The temps weren't to bad and I was glad I'd made the choices I had clothing wise, which was Summer bib, warm leggings, toe covers. vest style base layer and long sleeve top, with the usual hat under the helmet. It was perfect all day.

Anyway we were lucky enough to run in the Steve T at the spaceship, and he joined us for the upward river run. Headed over Momomiyama and made our way down to Iimori touge. It was lovely as usual although I think it should be called "the climb of broken promises" because there are about 4 or 5 times that it feels like you are at the top only to turn the corner and see a bunch more road.... I struggled up there, and although I had lost time towards the bottom after dropping a chain, I still did comparitively well compared to my previous times. Ie it was my fastest ascent of that climb.

From there we headed up the greenline dropping down the 172 and back up takeshina, then along the greenline and down Shiraishi, and lets face it that is the only sane way to ride that hill!

From there we headed towards home, turning off a way down, and made our way to kasayama. Another scenic entry into the climb, all the valleys around that area are very scenic. The climb was nice, my legs were just about done, so it was fairly slow for me.

After that we descended to the base of sadamine and back down the river via Ogawaramachi. I had popped a mega caffine gel at the top of Kasayama for the ride home, and it got me to within about 20km of home. Then I was trully done. Limped home and have never been so grateful to arrive! Big props for MPeek and his monster effort on the return river run.

The weather was very nice, the sun was really trying but after about 10:30 it pretty much disappeared. All the south eastern descents open were nice but it was cold on the northern sides of the hills and when the valleys closed in.

It was my first trip to the mountains in close to a month and I was feeling it!

Just shy of a meaglobrevet, on another day I might have ridden around the block but not today!

190km and 2400m climbing for me.

Nice ride!

think it should be called "the climb of broken promises" because there are about 4 or 5 times that it feels like you are at the top only to turn the corner and see a bunch more road....
Indeed

t got me to within about 20km of home. Then I was trully done. Limped home
Classic bonking. Eat, eat, eat ...

@Mlac Peek ,@theBlob ,@GrantT :
Guys, thanks for the "lift" out to the mountains. Arrived in plenty of time to get over Shiraishi (an "honest" toge, not like those Greenline ascents) and get the train home in time for lunch. Might have to hitch a ride with you more often !

Hmmm, I don't know, I was careful to consume here is my food list which seemed fairly decent….

Ham sando before leaving home.
First stop(50km)- Tomato juice, onigiri, pancakes.
Top of green line - banana.
Before kasayama - Banana
After kasayama - Caffine gel
Conbini lunch - pasta salad thing, Orangina, Small coffee- black
River - Onigiri.

It is not so much that I bonk as I start to feel sick in the stomach. Lose energy but feel like eating will make it worse.

Classic bonking. Eat, eat, eat ...

Anytime mate!

@Mlac Peek ,@theBlob ,@GrantT :
Guys, thanks for the "lift" out to the mountains. Arrived in plenty of time to get over Shiraishi (an "honest" toge, not like those Greenline ascents) and get the train home in time for lunch. Might have to hitch a ride with you more often !

I'd probably eat more than that and still bonk.

Hmmm, I don't know, I was careful to consume here is my food list which seemed fairly decent….

Before kasayama - Banana
River - Onigiri.

It is not so much that I bonk as I start to feel sick in the stomach. Lose energy but feel like eating will make it worse.

For such a long ride, that doesn't sound like enough to me.

Let's take conservative estimates and say you're burning 500kcal/hr, for six hours of riding you would already need 3000kcal. One onigiri is about 100 grams of cooked rice, should be about 200kcal. One small banana is about 100kcal. One bottle of soda 350ml is about 140kcal.

But if you're too sick too eat, then that's the limiting factor. Eating while riding is another thing that can/should be trained.

Before kasayama - Banana
River - Onigiri.

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research, I may have not eaten enough. I think the key for me is to eat more regularly smaller amounts. I don't think the coffee helps, The nauseated feeling happens for me only on these long rides and it always happens after coffee. (Not that every time I have coffee i feel sick) but that ride we did a while back I had no coffee and was fine all day. I think I will skip the coffee next time and try for more bananas!

For such a long ride, that doesn't sound like enough to me.

Let's take conservative estimates and say you're burning 500kcal/hr, for six hours of riding you would already need 3000kcal. One onigiri is about 100 grams of cooked rice, should be about 200kcal. One small banana is about 100kcal. One bottle of soda 350ml is about 140kcal.

But if you're too sick too eat, then that's the limiting factor. Eating while riding is another thing that can/should be trained.

I've recently been trying to stay off the sweet stuff (gels etc) on the long rides and stick with simple things like plain onigiris or home made cakes without too much sugar. I find it works better for me as my body's not relying so much on a quick fix of energy every 30 mins or so. My stomach is happier, too.

I agree with @Andy in Tokyo. I can't believe you use energy gels on regular rides. They are full of crap and once you take one, you will need to keep taking them until you get home. I find that I feel far hungrier when I eat very sugary foods as my body burns through them very quickly and keeps looking for that quick fix.

I like those chocolate coated nut clusters. Something that you might not have normally but really gets you going as a treat. There's lots of oil and protein in the nuts for long-term fuelling, and the milk chocolate surrounding them for a big hit of sugar. I love those chocolate nuts ;)

I don't take a lot of gels but I usually carry them for emergencies, and there have been times when I have been very glad to have them in my back pocket.
I agree about the sugary food. Anyway I have had a few instances of finishing the ride feeling very shit recently, and it has always been the longer, more arduous rides, so I need to look closely at what I am doing and make changes to end on a high rather than a low.

I don't take a lot of gels but I usually carry them for emergencies, and there have been times when I have been very glad to have them in my back pocket.
I agree about the sugary food. Anyway I have had a few instances of finishing the ride feeling very shit recently, and it has always been the longer, more arduous rides, so I need to look closely at what I am doing and make changes to end on a high rather than a low.
Was it really an emergency when you descended from Kasayama on the way home? No conbinis on the route back? You should steer clear of those gels. They will give you an STD if you use them too often.

Back
Top Bottom