What's new

Sunday feb. 26th Oifuto

EricinIkebukuro

Speeding Up
Jan 30, 2011
So last week I went to Oifuto and absolutely loved it. At about 8am there are few or no cars and the area has its own natural race circuit. When I went training there most people riding weren't willing to ride a hard pace and actually workout.

So this Sunday let's meet at Oifuto for a little ride, maybe 1 or 2 hours of riding. I'm movin to a new apartment the same day so i will only stay till about 10am. If anyone is interested I can post a meeting point.

Cheers,
Eric

So last week I went to Oifuto and absolutely loved it. At about 8am there are few or no cars and the area has its own natural race circuit. When I went training there most people riding weren't willing to ride a hard pace and actually workout.
Went there sometimes in the week at night to overcome some jetlag/insomnia . Still a lot of trucks standing at the side that run their engine overnight, also there are all these garbage and asbestos plants....

The port is closed on Sunday's so there are no trucks running that day. When I went it wasn't dirty at all either

So this Sunday let's meet at Oifuto for a little ride, maybe 1 or 2 hours of riding. I'm movin to a new apartment the same day so i will only stay till about 10am. If anyone is interested I can post a meeting point.

Cheers,
Eric

I'm interested.

Eric,

This sounds good to me - I'm up for this duration/distance and the timing works. What kind of pace do you anticipate?

Take care,
Tom

Yes indeed. We got caught trying to cross the course last year, heading from Roppongi to Hamamatsucho on our way to Haneda. We were invited to cross the pedestrian bridge over the road, but that was crowded with spectators. Much easier to go through the station. Here's our own Stu leading the intrepid HF Krew up the escalator.

Looking at the marathon route map, the southern most part of the route is just north of oifuto so I think we should be safe.

So the pace will be about 30-40km/h depending on the wind situation. Riding as one group and taking turns at the front will make the high speeds real easy.

Meeting time is 8am, if you are late, you will probably see us riding around because its only like a 5K loop. End time is about 10am.

Here is the meeting point: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205657776618100524054.0004b98dd92d97e7175c9&msa=0

Might join this depending on weather.

But I also have my own training agenda so although may ride with the group might be doing other things in and around it.

Better push that to 40-50kph.

Looking at the marathon route map, the southern most part of the route is just north of oifuto so I think we should be safe.

So the pace will be about 30-40km/h depending on the wind situation. Riding as one group and taking turns at the front will make the high speeds real easy.

Meeting time is 8am, if you are late, you will probably see us riding around because its only like a 5K loop. End time is about 10am.

Here is the meeting point: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205657776618100524054.0004b98dd92d97e7175c9&msa=0

If we can get Stefano to come it would be 45 flat the whole time! I emailed so we shall see.

A few words of advise from a regular

Best to keep an eye out for the cops. For the past few weeks a squad car with flashing lights has done the rounds of the circuit (approx 9.1km) from about 09:00. They might ticket you if they see you run a red light, not stop at a stop sign or do an illegal U-turn at the bottom of the bridge. Or they might just tell you what you have done wrong over a loud speaker. But some of my friends have been ticketed. Some times they use vans, motor bikes or even unmarked cars.

All a game really, but best to play it the J cops way. But it is far better now than a couple of months ago when they "blitzed" the place for a month and made it really tough it get a decent ride in. They normally take off after an hour or so of bothering riders. Wish that they would go elsewhere and fight some real crime!

I ride there most Sunday mornings on my tri-bike, but am doing the marathon on Sunday instead. Agree that it will be quiet this Sunday and that the cops might be too busy with the marathon to show up.

Thirty to 40 sounds good

If we can get Stefano to come it would be 45 flat the whole time! I emailed so we shall see.

Hey gents, I have yet to do a 45km or 50km pace, but I am game to try:rescue:

Best to keep an eye out for the cops. For the past few weeks a squad car with flashing lights has done the rounds of the circuit (approx 9.1km) from about 09:00. They might ticket you if they see you run a red light, not stop at a stop sign or do an illegal U-turn at the bottom of the bridge. Or they might just tell you what you have done wrong over a loud speaker. But some of my friends have been ticketed. Some times they use vans, motor bikes or even unmarked cars.

All a game really, but best to play it the J cops way. But it is far better now than a couple of months ago when they "blitzed" the place for a month and made it really tough it get a decent ride in. They normally take off after an hour or so of bothering riders. Wish that they would go elsewhere and fight some real crime!

I ride there most Sunday mornings on my tri-bike, but am doing the marathon on Sunday instead. Agree that it will be quiet this Sunday and that the cops might be too busy with the marathon to show up.

I saw the news when they blitzed the place. A complete waste of tax payer money in my opinion. They turn a blind eye to taxis running red lights, making illegal turns, endangering peds and cyclist but they have to crack down on cyclists riding deserted streets where there are no pedestrians and an car every now and then. Not to mention on Sundays all the port entrances are closed therefore making most of the intersections lose all cross traffic.

@imkejo50, 45km-50km will most likely be in bursts as it is hard hold 45 for more then a few minutes on ones own. 40 however is do able for a good hour or more.

If any other riders from other groups show up they may try to suck our wheels (that's when we push up the pace to 50:p).

I don't trust having one of them back there after last time. Some guy on a tri bike was trying to pass me but instead of making a clean pass he kept swerving too close to me or cut me off. He couldn't keep the pace to stay ahead of me so I would always re-pass him. Then he would suck my wheel, rest up, and try again. The last time I let him pass me he was only a few centimeters from me and even bumped my shoulder.... the road was empty and it's wide enough for 3 oversize trucks to run side by side, no way in hell was there reason for him to be that close to me. Not to mention using aero bars is a group is dangerous without practice.

When he stopped I gave him a piece of my mind. With my first race only a few weeks away, any training accident would be devastating. I asked him what he was trying to prove to me, to which he had no reply. Had he replied with something stupid I would have knocked some of his teeth out.

Don't blame the police for enforcing rules, regulations and laws that the government passes. Also do not blame them for the crack downs.

It's you local politicians you want to be talking to.

I've spoken to traffic police about this exact thing and they feel the same - it's a waste of their time going to places like this to crack down yet they have to. Yet if they are actually ticketing people for running reds or not stop at stop signs then actually it's not a waste of tax payer's money ;)

When he stopped I gave him a piece of my mind. With my first race only a few weeks away, any training accident would be devastating. I asked him what he was trying to prove to me, to which he had no reply. Had he replied with something stupid I would have knocked some of his teeth out.

Eric mate - becareful, you posted a video not so long ago of you doing something what many veterans would regard as dangerous and stupid durring a race. You are a long way off from being a vet in the sport and I suggest you calm down a bit. Yeah this guy might have been doing stuff that was worrying but you did exactly the same to another person yet Im sure they didn't give you a peice of your mind - be an educator not a thug.

Pardon the pun

I saw the news when they blitzed the place. A complete waste of tax payer money in my opinion. They turn a blind eye to taxis running red lights, making illegal turns, endangering peds and cyclist but they have to crack down on cyclists riding deserted streets where there are no pedestrians and an car every now and then. Not to mention on Sundays all the port entrances are closed therefore making most of the intersections lose all cross traffic.

@imkejo50, 45km-50km will most likely be in bursts as it is hard hold 45 for more then a few minutes on ones own. 40 however is do able for a good hour or more.

If any other riders from other groups show up they may try to suck our wheels (that's when we push up the pace to 50:p).

I don't trust having one of them back there after last time. Some guy on a tri bike was trying to pass me but instead of making a clean pass he kept swerving too close to me or cut me off. He couldn't keep the pace to stay ahead of me so I would always re-pass him. Then he would suck my wheel, rest up, and try again. The last time I let him pass me he was only a few centimeters from me and even bumped my shoulder.... the road was empty and it's wide enough for 3 oversize trucks to run side by side, no way in hell was there reason for him to be that close to me. Not to mention using aero bars is a group is dangerous without practice.

Eric, you exercised a lot more patience than I would have:) Man!!! I need my teeth knocked out for that one:D

Anyway, I look forward to the ride, but I am afraid that I will be the one sucking wheels, wind, air...it must be something in the air today. Did someone spike my coffee? :confused:

Kevin

Don't blame the police for enforcing rules, regulations and laws that the government passes. Also do not blame them for the crack downs.

It's you local politicians you want to be talking to.

I've spoken to traffic police about this exact thing and they feel the same - it's a waste of their time going to places like this to crack down yet they have to. Yet if they are actually ticketing people for running reds or not stop at stop signs then actually it's not a waste of tax payer's money ;)

I understand the guy writing the tickets is just doing his job, but still why does he look the other way when a taxi runs through reds in crowded streets. If they are going to crack down, they need to crack down on everyone not just the flavor of the month. Before Oifuto it was a Fixie crack down, before that it was a riding with a cellphone, before that it was riding with 2 people on a bike. Although the law still stands for every one of those, the police turn a blind eye to it unless it is the new fad for the month.

And if I ever took my complaint to the local government office they would ignore me because I am a foreigner and it is unthinkable that I would know anything worth while to them, or that they would take advice from a foreign student.

James mate - I am not a thug (frankly I'm surprised you would call me one after getting to know me). I don't yell at every cyclist that makes a mistake because I very well know I am not a picture perfect rider myself. We all make mistakes, rookie or vet. I learn from my mistakes, I love having advice and criticism thrown my way so I can learn right from wrong. I try to give advice from what I have learned from experienced riders (including you).

The only time I will get upset and confront someone is when they continually endanger the both of us after I have told them they are too close(politely) or when they ignore me after I tell them to pass wide around me. I am sure you also have your own breaking point, and at 35-40km/h you cannot allow their dangerous actions to repeat too many times because there will be someone getting hurt. Not to mention some of us poor students cannot afford to replace a broken bike.

@Kevin- glad to have you along! sucking wheel is better than sucking wind cuz that stuff will just slow you down;) As for spiked coffee....you might be the fastest person out there if you spiked it with red bull, and then an hour later had another red bull as a chaser. But you would be falling asleep on the bike after that second red bull wore off and I doubt doctors would agree with you having a 3rd:confused:

@Kevin- glad to have you along! sucking wheel is better than sucking wind cuz that stuff will just slow you down;) As for spiked coffee....you might be the fastest person out there if you spiked it with red bull, and then an hour later had another red bull as a chaser. But you would be falling asleep on the bike after that second red bull wore off and I doubt doctors would agree with you having a 3rd:confused:

I think that I will have my coffee black, than chance it:cool:

Back
Top Bottom