What's new

Sunday feb. 12 tomin no mori

EricinIkebukuro

Speeding Up
Jan 30, 2011
So it looks warm and sunny this Sunday. I was thinking about changing my work schedule and ride up tomin no mori. I can't confirm if it has snow but if will be cold no doubt. Who's up for an icicle bicycle ride?!

Cool, I mean cold. I'm in if the road is clear Eric. I've been thinking for a while I'd like to do that climb.

I wonder if anyone can shed light on the road conditions.

Dave

Feb 12 and tomin no mori? Only words ICY HELL come to mind.

I might be wrong though..:)

There is a bit of rain is coming towards the week-end, which means - ice in the mountains.

Current weather reports show rain in the area Monday, not Sunday. So hopefully it will be clear. My plan is to ride out to musashi itsukaiichi, then climb tomin no mori, descend the other side, stop for lunch in okutama, and take the same route back up the mountain an then ride home. Leaving from shinjuku at 8. Meeting place is the McDonalds at ome-kaido and yamete-dori.

Torn between this ride and James' LSD ride...

I would be coming up the Tama river and across to musashi itsukaiichi. When and where might you be crossing the Tama river?

Dave

With a shinjuku departure at 8, I'm guessing we will be at musashi itsukaiichi by about 10. So maybe crossing the tama around 9:30-9:45ish. I'm not the best at judging these things but on average it's around 2 hours ride out from shinjuku.

Hi Eric - I'll probably join you on this one as well. Need to start adding in some vertical to my diet. Not sure which bike - but , no worries, I'll grab something from the stable. I think this would also be a good 'novice' candidate - though - basic requirement would be at least 1x 100km+ ride in the last 7 days. And, we shouldn't really WATT it - but rather SLATT it.

here`s the route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/68536654/?open_ive_done=1&new_route=1

just follow the 7 all the way out, short refuel/meet up at musashi itsukaiichi station, climb tomin no mori, descend into okutama for a lunch then retrace our route back home. This will be a novice (not beginner) ride. This is not a WATT ride (wait at the top), instead those that finish the climb faster are encouraged to turn around ride down to the last person and climb up again. Plus, it will probably be too damn cold to wait at the top.

Thanks for organizing this, Eric! Nice to see you again, Delta - and Fumiki san, always a pleasure. I felt like mush - but that was to be expected having not alot of base, yet. But was a great ride! The 'chilly' really lived up to the expectation, huh? first time I've had a frozen retina in a long time! Finally defrosting just now! Sorry I bailed at the station - between my frozen eye and hands - I was at my safe tolerance limit.

Yeah, it was pretty cold up there as Eric promised. Although the first ascent was nice and warm in the sun, the descents were cold. I even had a little frost form on my gloves on the descent to Okutama.

After getting all hot and sweaty on the ascent back up from Okutama we kitted out for the final descent with newspapers etc. It was getting late and the sun was low, with the descent taking more than 30 minutes, we got colder and colder. When it was finally time to turn the pedals again, our legs had turned to heavy stones. Couldn't believe how heavy they had become.

It was great experience for me, thanks Eric. My first climb over 10km, and over 1000m in height, first time I'd ridden with so much snow around, and the related perils of ice on the road. I also learned that our eyballs are 80% water, thanks Tim. First time I've been asked if I had a hokkairo for eyeballs, too.

Also proved that Jame's LSD rides have given me some good base. After all the climbing and 180km, still had some juice in the legs for the Yomiyuriland hill just before getting home.

A nice day out in the great outdoors.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom