Sunday, April 24th - Green Line to Shiraishi Toge

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
When: Sunday, April 24th @ 8:00am
Where: Family Mart (see map)
Route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/373940
Distance: 156km

We'll be riding up the Arakawa and out to a very nice climb up to the Green Line. From there we'll ride up the Green Line to the soba shop where we'll have lunch. After lunch we'll continue around the Green Line until we reach Shiraishi Toge which should be a very nice descent. After descending we'll ride back to the Arakawa via a different route and head back in to Tokyo on the opposite side of the river that we came up.

With the cooperation of the weather this should be a really excellent ride. Expect minimal traffic and congestion, and long turns between when you actually need to stop and put your foot on the ground. The Green Line and the adjacent areas are really some of the prettiest mountains within reach of Tokyo. I hope you'll consider joining us!

I'm up for this - especially if the weather is good. Will be a great 'ease back' into the hills.

Hi Pete,

Looks like a nice route and I'm keen to come along. Just curious though - what average pace do you expect over the entire ride?

Chris.

Chris,

As far as pace, there is some flexibility there. On the flats, we usually are hovering around 30km/hr plus or minus a little depending on wind and such. Generally we climb and descend at our own pace and regroup at the top or bottom respectively. FWIW, for most rides of this class, I'll usually having a moving average of 24-25km/hr according to my Garmin Computer.

All that being said, I personally don't mind going slightly slower if need be.

Cheers Pete, that's all good - my odometer usually gives me a 24km/hr average at the end of a day's riding, so I shouldn't have any problem with the pace (being my first outing with the club, I wasn't quite sure how fast you'd be pounding along at).

So count me in then - see you at the combini at 8am Sunday.

I look forward to meeting and riding with you, Chris!

Owen, no excuses, HTFU!! :D

Seriously, take care mate! And keep us posted on your recovery.

i'm in too.

I'm too drunk and somehow I posted my entry on the blog.:eek:

See you Sunday and I'll be Okay by then.

O.K!

Thanks for organizing, Pete.
Like I said earlier, I'll be there too - This will be my unofficial "T.I.T.2 (Tokyo Itoigawa Training ride no.2)" :rolleyes:
As long as I have over 200km on the clock by the time I get home, that should count as training.
I'll meet you on the cycling-road just after 8:00, a few hundred meters west of Rte.17 so I don't miss you guys.
Looking forward to it! T

Travis, I'm glad to see you'll be joining us. It's no problem if you want to meet us on the bike path, but if you could hop over to the convenience store it might be better, as it's just a more comfortable place to wait for any stragglers. Either way, it's all good! See you tomorrow!

Don't worry pace, guys, there's lots of bailouts along the way and everyone is welcome on this ride. The hills are short so regroups are easy and the soba at the top is not to be missed. @Takkaki san - alcohol is just the reason to do this!

Hey Pete, thanks for putting this together. I'll try and join, though I may have to peel off partway through. Can't have Travis being the only T.I.T rider there. These things are best done in pairs, after all ...

I'll be further down-river - same place as last time - expecting you all around 8:05 ~ 8:15. If I'm not there, please don't wait !

Cheers
Steve

Cheers to all for a great ride today, and thanks to Pete for organizing it. My body now knows what's expected of it, and will adapt itself accordingly!

Feel free to seek me out on yee olde Facebook: Chris Mathews, same profile pic as here... All friendship requests accepted; docking requests ... reviewed case by case ... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom