What's new

Sunday (April 17th) - Nenogongentenryu-ji Jinja

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
When: Sunday, April 17th @ 8:00am
Where: Family Mart (See map) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/359992

We'll be meeting at 8:00am at the Family Mart shown at the start of the map above. Ride will likely be 140-160km total with 1250-1750m of climbing. If you look at the map above, I've purposefully left the return route and the potential for any additional climbs open and subject to the energy levels and desire of the group, to be determined at the bottom of the descent.

I expect this to be a little shorter, slower and less strenuous than my typical weekend ride, due to the fact that one of my capable but less experienced friends will be joining us. Therefore this is a good ride to join if you are approaching, but not quite at the normal TCC pace/level or are in need of a back in the saddle kind of ride.

Additionally, please note that this is a particularly beautiful area!

Andreas, I'm glad you spotted this thread, I was just getting ready to send you an e-mail. Yeah hopefully you can make it as this will be the perfect "climbing" ride for you right now! It's a real climb but not too crazy and at a more relaxed pace than usual.

Yeah, that's it!

What time do you think you will be hitting that point?

(The link you sent showed everything in Miles, for some reason)

By the time we leave Family Mart and actually start motoring, I'd estimate we'll be there somewhere between 8:35-8:45.

And as for Imperial vs Metric, that is user adjustable on the site. Despite the fact that I'm American, I exclusively use kilometers everywhere except the USA.

OK cool. 835-45am it is.

At exactly which spot down there do you fancy meeting?

It looks like we are all go for tomorrow. See anyone that's going at 8am (or a few minutes before) at Family Mart. And, Owen we'll be looking for you at the aforementioned 463 bridge.

I've got several interesting options we could do after the main climb and descent subject to time and everyone's energy levels. See you in the morning!

Would like to join, but ...

Sorry Pete,
My new (secret) bike is not ready yet.
Also, my wife & I will be looking at a new apartment tomorrow (not far from you, as a matter of fact) in Iriya.
Have a good ride, and I'll try to catch you for the next one!
Travis

Really nice ride today, although the last 2 kilometers of the initial climb up to Nenongongentenryu-ji Jinja were far steeper than anticipated with non-stop grades of 20-25%, and possibly a hair more in a few spots. But there were no false flats or let ups whatsoever in the last leg of that climb. That being said, everyone made it and we enjoyed some excellent soba, great views and a nice look around the shrine.

A couple of the guys took a few photos so hopefully we'll see those later today.

For anyone interested in our route today here is my,
RideWithGps data: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/219613
Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79641242

Thank you to everyone that joined, and big kudos to big Andreas for successfully making all the climbs!

Back
Top Bottom