What's new

Ride Sunday 8th. Megalo Breviting

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
@Mlac Peek and myself will be heading off into the Northern Saitama wilderness on Sunday for a long ride. Anyone is welcome to join.

Meeting place: The spaceship (On Arakawa)
Time: Probably 6:30am but maybe earlier if no-one else is coming.
Map: TBD but it will be up Arakawa into the Tokigawa area and across North of Chichibu. Then returning somehow.

Trains: We won't be using them, but bail points could be Ogawamachi, or Chichibu Stn if you want to use them.
Distance: Return to the spaceship. Over 200km

Pace: Whatever it turns out to be, over 30 on the flats, easy climbing- WATT (Within reason).
Fueling: Conbinis

Nice. I'll be hitting generally the same area but on foot (gasp!); going hiking :glasses: I'd love to join otherwise, this is the best season for riding.

Sorry folks. The ride plan changed.
We are meeting at the entrance to the saitama children's zoo. At monomiyama at 7:30.

We are going by car.

Mark if you want to come in the car the meeting time is 6:15. At the base of the gaikan bridge on the tokyo side.

Burly ride. Think I'll need a tow rope to "tag along" but well see what happens eh?

Plan is to be at the rendezvous point at 7:30.

I don't think I will be doing the whole ride as I will be riding from home. There and back would be around 250-270km for me so I'll be turning around at some point. Most probably going to be on my gravel bike too so if we hit any rough stuff I'll be fine. If not, then I will be found at the back of the group ;)

What a great ride this was. We left from Monomiyama and skipped the river altogether.

Hitting up kasayama and sadamine before rolling into nagatoro for some lunch. Saw the steam train that ru s from kumagaya to chichibu, that was pretty cool.
After lunch we headed up the first big climb of the day. Jyomine which had some really steep parts early on and some gravel sections. But it's a lovely quiet climb topping at about 1000m.
The descent is a drawn out ridgeline that offers great views and after we cross into Gunma some really fast descending.
We ended at Kanna dam and due to the time we skipped the next planned climb and hit TT mode around the dam.
Once we got to the 313 it was back up Jyomine from another angle and back over the top. Another cracking descent.
Light was fading and we needed some food but about 2km from the river valley we ran into a blocked road due to some lame daytime fireworks. Seriously what a waste of money.
We backtracked and went over the ridge and took the next road into the valley.
Light was fading fast kawa bought himself a flashlight at the conbini and taped it onto his bars!
By the time we left it was pretty much dark, and we were off the map. A small navigation error had us do a loop but eventually we got onto sadamine and climbed in darkness up and over shiraishi.
Eventually we made it back to the cars at about 7:30.
Off to ramen and home
185km 3900m up
I've not done any climbs at night but I must say I really liked it. So peaceful and quiet. Will have to do more of this in the future. Might upgrade my lights before I do that though.

Anyone welcome on the next one!!

IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3116.JPG

Back
Top Bottom