What's new

Sunday 8th - Hakone Hilly Ride (advanced)

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
As a follow up to Mike's birthday ride, and as preparation for Kusatsu, I plan to ride this course on Sunday

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/59647304/

Only 90km but the pace will be fast.
Nominated hillclimbs are
  • Crossroads at 5.5km to summit at 11km (rindo)
  • Junction with Route 1 17.5km to Route 1 high point 22.5km
  • Nagao Toge 41km-44km
  • Ashigara Elementary School 62.5km to Ashigara Toge summit 66 km

One Conbini stop in Gotemba.

Speedy gentlemen & ladies (only) welcome to join. Sorry, but this is a fast training ride. We won't be hanging around.

Meeting point Odawara Station East Exit, by the coin lockers on the ground level. I'll be there at 8:50am, roll at 9am.
Let me know if you plan to join.

AW

Thanks for posting Alan, I'll join this one. I'll be arriving on the Odakyu line at 8:45am. Looking forward to it although I won't be able to push you up the climbs yet....but one day soon my friend:cool:

Hanami Family Weekend here :beer1: ... thus I can not join this ride :(, will do some very early morning rides :bike: instead.
Have fun.

Alan, I am keen to join but will obviously not be able to keep up with you for the entire course.

So, will be doing a slightly different route for the first half (including up the old Tokaido to Ashinoko -- love that road) and intercept you at your km 44.3.

So, could you give me a super rough estimate on when you will be thru the tunnel up at Nagao tohge summit (where road 736 meets the lake skyline). Will make sure that I am there well in time before you guys and of course happily wait inside the tunnel if you are late .

This will enable the first climbs by myself and then downhill, flat and the final climb with you guys. I will be with you for the downhill and flat pre and post Gotemba and not cry when you say sayanora going up Ashigara tohge.

F

Frode,
I reckon we will be passing through the Nagao toge tunnel at around 11:10am.
We'll be looking for you! Ashigara toge is the last climb so I'm happy to regroup at the summit and we can finish the ride together.

AW.

Great, see you guys there then. Will PM my keitai number just in case

Current Sunday forecast looks nice. However, it guesses rain on Saturday and freezing over night up at Ashinoko so please be careful

Cheers

Frode,
I reckon we will be passing through the Nagao toge tunnel at around 11:10am.
We'll be looking for you! Ashigara toge is the last climb so I'm happy to regroup at the summit and we can finish the ride together.

AW.

Speedy gentlemen & ladies (only) welcome to join. Sorry, but this is a fast training ride. We won't be hanging around.
AW

I have a mental trauma with this expression. Last time I saw this was .... Hotaka training 2.:rescue:
But I'll get over it and see you at Odawara station.

Takaaki

Alan, I will skip on this speedy ride, but hope for another one soon

I would join on Saturday (wasn't it originally planned for Saturday 7th as Mike's BD ride?) - I suppose it's too late to reschedule, so next time..

Serguei - I would also be keen to do his ride or something equivalent (100 km/2,000 m elevation) on Saturday at a moderate/brisk pace, if you would like to do so. We could arrange a meeting point. Others also welcome to join.

Sorry Sergeui, after doing last weeks ride we decide it'd be good to do a different course and the weather seems to be better on Sunday. Wish you could join us...a very good chance for you to kick my butt up the hills atm!

Really wish I could join this one, but I've got family duties and need to stay close to home this weekend.

Have fun, guys!

Deej

Serguei - I would also be keen to do his ride or something equivalent (100 km/2,000 m elevation) on Saturday at a moderate/brisk pace, if you would like to do so. We could arrange a meeting point. Others also welcome to join.

Tom,
I am considering doing a ride which starts and finishes at Hashimoto st., at 9.00 am (100km/2000+m) - the so-called "reverse" Tour de Christoph. I will PM you the route in order not to hijack Alan's thread. If anyone else is interested - please, send me a PM.

Sergey, Malte, Deej - sorry the schedule doesn't work for you. The forecast for Saturday was looking dodgy, so I arranged the ride for Sunday. I plan to ride the west Tokyo mountains next weekend - hopefully we can ride together then.

Looking forward to seeing the participants on Sunday. It's supposed to be chilly: 6 to 11 degrees in Gotemba so back to winter clothing :mad:

p.s. Naomi-san says "don't be scared of this ride" :)

Would have loved to join you but my whole weekend is booked up with family stuff:( Hope those who make it have a terrific ride :bike:

I'd love to join, but I have to work the entire weekend.

A word of warning -
Don't forget your shoe covers and be careful on the altitude, Gunjira and I went for a ride today and on our way back on the lower slopes of Doshi-michi it started to snow! :eek: Nothing too serious to slow us down, but it might be quite chilly tomorrow, especially in the morning. Now, excuse me I need to get myself a pair of new legs (thanks, Gunnar ;))

Thanks for the warning Sergey. We'll take it cautiously tomorrow.

AW.

OK Alan, I'll be joining the ride.

Not scared Naomi, just afraid. :cool:

See everyone there.

Dave

Dave,

Don be afraid:warau:
I didn't sleep at all last night and have sore leg today:warau:

Anyway, see you at Odawara station.

Naomi:)

OK Alan, I'll be joining the ride.

Not scared Naomi, just afraid. :cool: