What's new

Sunday 5th Feb - L.S.Distance training Ride

I agree, but I felt I needed to clarify the conditions of the ride. I've never met you so it's very hard for me take make any assumptions on your abilities so I decided to err on the side of caution.

To be honest I doubt that you'll get dropped on this ride but there are times where on the flats we were hitting speeds just under 40km/h on the flat sections and I didn't want anyone complaining that there was no waiting or that it wasn't up to their expectation.

In regards to Mike's remarks about the conditions of his legs I think you'll find that everyone else on the ride also felt the same after – I know Fumiki and myself made several comments on FB about it.

So I realized that electronic shifters don't work without a battery... I left my battery at work.... With that said I will be doing with fixed gear. But if it is the same route as last time I have no doubt I will be able to keep up. Just one of the hills may slow me down but I will catch up quickly. See you all tomorrow!

So I realized that electronic shifters don't work without a battery... I left my battery at work.... With that said I will be doing with fixed gear. But if it is the same route as last time I have no doubt I will be able to keep up. Just one of the hills may slow me down but I will catch up quickly. See you all tomorrow!
Modern technology fails you, or you fail it, but you can go back to the most basic form, that is great, enjoy the ride!

I'm stuck at work today :mad:

I'm dead tired, but have had a great day. My total came to 136 km on the bike today, which is my furthest since 1980.

I managed to keep up with the other riders (as in: draft behind Alan, thank you! :)) until about half way to Misaki, but clearly realized that the pace was not sustainable for my level of training yet, especially on slight climbs where my power output was quite insufficient.

I then dropped off and continued at my own pace just as we got the first real climb. I followed the course as I remembered it, hugging the coastline wherever possible. I felt much more comfortable as I could rest and eat when it suited me best and I could pick a speed that would allow me to more or less complete the course.

I guess the Maguro restaurant in Misaki must have been a good one that people didn't want to leave too soon, because much to my surprise I ran into the whole group again a little before Kamakura. I noticed a whole lot of bikes and cyclists outside a conbini across the street and recognized my new friends. I had been going more slowly, but must have spent a lot less time on my breaks than they did for their lunch. (EDIT: comparing routes now, it looks I took some shortcuts :eek:) I waved but continued, expecting to see everyone again soon. They caught me again near the beach at Kamakura and didn't lose me until after we had turned North towards R467, so I knew where I should be heading.

The last two hours were the hardest. I felt dead exhausted and my speed dropped further. I gave up my earlier plan of cycling back to Tokyo via Machida-Tama-Tamagawa and instead used the bike bag from Machida station on Odakyu.

Next time will be easier. I think I'll aim for a long loop at a consistent speed rather than a (relatively) fast start and a slow end.

Thank you for organizing this ride and letting me share part of it. I wouldn't have gone this far without you! For a start, I wouldn't have got up early enough to have the time for the distance without our 08:00 meeting point :)

Hope to see you again on other rides, when I'm a bit faster. You guys are amazing!

Joe - really great to see you today! agree with Pete showing up is half the battle won!

Also very impressed you finished the ride and just for the record Im toast also! ;)

Many thanks for all those that showed up today it was a pleasure and an honor to ride with you all!

Hello James, next (and the final) LSD planned on Sunday Feb 12?

Yes - Anthony as I will be moving in to the build phase of my training so the pace will increase to zones 3 and 4

Sorry Anthony :D

Back
Top Bottom