What's new

Sunday 4th Winter Hakone Tour

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
I plan to do this 90km ride on Sunday morning

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/59647304

From Odwara station to Hakone, Lake Ashinoko, Nagao Pass, Gotemba and back over Ashigara. Coffee/Pizza/Pastries at the Hakone Bakery at the end!

The pace will be moderate (No high speed shenanigins like last week :))
Meet JR Odawara station East Exit by the coin lockers at 9am. I'll be on the Tokkaido line train that arrives 8:51.

Anyone that wishes to join, let me know. Bring some warm clothes - it will be cold at 870m.

Alan,
very good for me.
I want to join this !

I set my alarm to catch it,but all depend on how my Saturday night is going on...

Fumiki

Fumiki san - did you start drinking already? I want to join!

Tim san,

I drink at roppongi as always tonight,tomorrow night,anytime welcome about you!!

Fumiki

Fumiki-san,
This ride is specially designed to cure hangovers! Hope to see you there!
AW.

Ekiden

Cannot ride on Sunday ... but brings to mind that there is only a month until the Hakone Ekiden ride. ...

I really want to join but...
it looks so hard of a few mountains;[
maybe next time! Enjoy riding!

Sorry i changed my mind!
ill join it.Climb hills.OK?

Kirsten,
Look for us at the East exit of the station at ground level. I have a red Cannondale & Naomi has a white Colnago.

Please check your private messages, I will leave a contact telephone number for you there.

AW.

Saturday evening I was not so sure of my condition after the cold & wet Tokyo Enduro, but decided early Sunday morning to join this one.

Weather was so perfect with the sky as clear as never before! Climbing up Rindos we had some nice glimpse down on the sea, colorful foliage, then finally magnificent view of Mt.Fuji.
Felt some cold headwind descending R1 towards Lake Ashinoko, but otherwise it wasn't really windy.

Alan, thanks for organizing this one. Really enjoyed the weather and beautiful scenery. No racing up the hills :)

kirsten110, thanks for coming to this ride. Sorry you had to walk on your bike shoes at long/steep climbs... Hakone might be a bit too much of a challenge for choosing as first climbing experience. I'm sure you'll be begging for more climbs after having a few more hills behind you.

Amazed by Gus and his awesome bike with wooden frame. That was soooo coooool!!

Thanks to Eugen, Kirsten and Naomi-san for a great ride on Sunday.
Arriving at the station we met Gus, who rolled up on his amazing wooden framed cruiser and was kind enough to let me have a play on it. What an awesome machine! Once it's rolling it feels unstoppable! Gus thenled us through the back streets of Odawara on a short cut to the start of our first hilly rindo, before waving goodbye and cruising back into town.

We had the clearest skies all through the ride and saw fantastic autumn colours on the trees, the deep blue of Ashinoko Lake and the snow-capped Mt. Fuji looming above us. We stopped a lot for photos, and had lunch overlooking the "pirate-ship harbour", before climing the final metres to Nagao toge where we got a spectacular view of Fuji.

Kirsten - I hope you've recovered from all the climbing! Hakone is a tough introduction as Eugen said. But now is a good time to start building your fitness. There will be a lot of long, slow rides over winter to give you base fitness, then you can start adding more hills and faster pace. The Half-Fast rides tend to be on flatter courses, and there are occasional TCC rides down the Miura peninsula as well. Once you've done a few of these rides, you'll feel the fitness coming!

Back
Top Bottom