Ride Sunday 28th Greenline's Greatest hits

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I can't join Pete's Sat or Monday jaunts. So I contacted the mapping master and he chucked me this one to do on Sunday! Thanks Pete!

Here is the meat in the sandwich.

No trains, ride out from Saiyo Lake on Arakawa leaving 6.30am. Ride back along Arakawa from the end of the route which is the top of Shiraishi Touge.

If anyone wants to join it will be a fairly fast pace, and not so many stops, but we will WATT of all the climbs.

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Great ride today. It started badly for me having a fitful sleep and waking tired and with a sore throat. I toyed with the idea of calling it off but as it was only Ben and I that wouldn't have been cool.

Anyway out the door and arrived at the meeting place a little late. We set off following the nichitsu rout to yambushi for the first climb. Yambushi toge is t so long but it has some very steep sections that can leave you gasping. Ben pulled away and I was left to stumble up the hill. It was a beautiful day and the light breeze and su shine was really nice. From the top a quick descent and the another climb. More pain.
We had a quick stop at the shop at the top of the next climb scoffed a banana and rolled down the hill. As we got higher the air started to get a bite to it and I realized that my summer kit just wasn't enough at altitude.
Down to the 299 and now another clim to the greenline. It was a deceptive one and kept feeling like it was about to end.
I had been careful to keep eating but the cold temps and constant climbing was starting to hurt. On the descent to the start of the temple climb I stopped for a hot chocolate and that was good but not enough. By the time we got into the guts of the temple climb I was spent, I thought I might have to stop but found the will power and rhythm to just churn on.
Ben was waiting at the top looking spritly I informed him much to my disapointment I would have to skip shiraishi. He saw my state and agreed. It wasn't like I was bonking but I just felt bad.
We rolled down the hill and stopped at a conbini. We were now 130km and 2500m in and this was our first substantial stop. It should probably have come sooner for me because after eating a hot pasta I was good to go again.
We got onto the river and despit the forecast we actually had a decent tailwind. Thank you god !
I had brought along some of those 100mg caffine clif gels and we rolled one of them.
My garmin ran out of batteries so I switched it off.
The caffine and pasta did the job and I was back. We kept a solid mid 40s pace down the river and I even managed to bump my best 10sec power interval ever after 190km. ? What's with that?

Anyway despite feeling sub standard I rolled my best time on every climb and finished with my longest ride and most climbing ever. So I guess I'm coming into some form.

Ben as always was very impressive on the climbs (what I saw! ) and generally a great guy to ride with.
Thanks buddy!

If anyone wants a day fooling around the greenline this is a highly recommended loop. Thanks Pete!

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Toda, Saitama
Great ride Blob! Thanks for navigating the route out and taking us safely through the mountains. It was a fantastic day to be out on the bike and to be able to enjoy the views (especially now I have my prescriptions shades sorted). No more bamboo crossings for me! Cheers for sharing the map Pete!

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
It's fine, Its longer and flatter than Shiraishi so it's a little easier on the neck and shoulders.

I think this loop would be good with going down the 172 then going up that climb we did a few weeks back, just short of Shiraishi. then you can descend shiraishi and out...

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Toda, Saitama
True enough but the drop down from the greenline is pretty hairy - lots of switchbacks, some without mirrors, and that section of road is pretty rough and bumpy in places. A technical descent at speed for sure until you reach the smoother Tarmac leading to Shiraishi.

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Toda, Saitama
Glad you had a good time! I wish you two were coming out tomorrow. It's going to be a good one!
Pete, depending on how well I recover, I may join you tomorrow, at least for a bit. As usual I will be riding back at some point and will probably steal Takaaki from the group to help with navigation if I end up in the mountains again. Right now my legs are toast but there are 12 more hours in which to re-energise...

So, definitely maybe?