What's new

Ride Sunday 26th October- Magical Mystery Brevet

Are you ready to Brevet?

• Total voters

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
For all you wishing to brevetise yourselves this ride could be for you…

Departure 6am at the spaceship….

That's all you need to know.

It will be over 200km, and it will include a bunch of hills in the Hanno, Greenline, North Chichibu area.

There are plenty of bail out options for you along the way if trains are your thing. So don't be scared. Mlac Peek and myself will be riding back though.

Hills are WATT but you should consider yourself a decent rider, able to sustain a decent pace for the duration. If you can't then see above sentence.

Pace will be fairly quick.

Please note, I voted for Cheese and tomato because I like the combination more than muesli with fruit salad. Muesli goes far better with low fat milk in my opinion.

This does NOT, I repeat, NOT mean that I am going to take part in the brevet. I just wanted to show my support for cheese and tomato

Here we go again...

Another brevet in the bag. This was a two man event, we had left the route open to see what the weather and everything else held in store for us. Peek and myself met at the spaceship at 6am and decided on an anti clockwise loop starting from nihongi touge, around to and up the goat track. I could tell from early on that it was going to be a tough day for me, my third day in a row on the bike and I had done a little to much yesterday morning.

I decided as I had only had one previous run up nihongi front side, that bugger it, today I would have a crack at it and too bad about what happened after. Well I did ok getting in the top 10 on strava which is good for me. After that we went down the back side, I almost had a head on with a car around a non mirrored turn. He was right on my side of the road and I was on his, grabbed to much brake and up came the back wheel, fortunately I reacted quickly and got off the brake and zipped around him.

After that we cruised to the goat track, passing the pizza joint a little bit hesitantly. Up the goat track, legs not in good shape. I was trying to control how much I ate and it was not paying off. Low level bonk near the top. Grabbed banana then down to the 172, where we would climb again to the lookout area.
Things got bad on this climb and I had to stop near the top and dive into my emergency rations pack.
We had considered the temple climb but I vetoed it and we headed down to shomaru touge climbing and having a nice lunch at the top. The climbing was just about done for the day, just the short climb over yamanashi then the long power home. My legs recovered and after wrong turn took us to Oume we blasted back on oume kaido.

Even found time for a hill sprint with 190km in my legs 650w for 22 seconds maxing out at 970w. Not sure where that came from. I think basically everything was by now numb and auto pilot was kicking in.

Ran around the block to get to 200km and ended the day on 203km and 2500m climbing.

Nice effort, of course Peek went faster up every hill and took longer pulls on the front, and remained patient with my constant bs. What a top bloke. (Except when he's killing stray cats on the morning training course)

Last edited:
Except of course that it wasn't a brevet.

Except of course that it wasn't a brevet.

Well, no, of course it wasn't. And there were some substantive differences. But public invitation, 200 km in a limited time, success through bananas, and a merry write-up: all but one of the important boxes are ticked. Next time, photos please!

We live in a new and ever evolving world Weinster. But for the sake of clarity and your sanity I will now refer to my new style event as a "New Brevet"

Carbon bikes are allowed, No need to stamp a piece of paper, cause well, we have a garmin that is adept at mapping where it and therefore we have been. And the required pace is "New" as well, well, it would certainly be new for you.
The "new brevet" organizers suggest that riders ride together and laugh and tell jokes, slow down when one is suffering, and make decisions like, where we have lunch, that make for an enjoyable group experience.

You are most welcome to stay in your old world and its stuffy antiquated thinking but don't be denigrating my desire to advance the sport in a fun and communal direction.

We live in a new and ever evolving world Weinster.

I should have known better than to feed the trolls again. And you have made it clear again what you're here for.

Oh really? And what would that be? And while you are in a chatty mood perhaps you can tell us why you are here?

I should have known better than to feed the trolls again. And you have made it clear again what you're here for.

Come now Robert we don't throw out the dishes with the dishwater! SO we must find a way to keep brevet in the title while showing the new evolution of the sport.

I for one am all about history, the rich musty smell of old books. The creak of old heavy wooden doors, the sweet sound of twin carbs, the soft waft of two stroke fumes. The sight of britches and a corset with a nice gap. Aaah! These are the things of a rich life! The essence of living and being a part of the human collective so rich in ideas and ingenuity.

This is how the future is shaped! :tup

Why not leave the (antiquated) word "brevet" to the purists and nostalgics, and come up with a term that better defines this new era of long distance cycling?

To relate with the "epic" theme, it could be something like "Homeric ride" :)

Last edited:
GPS tracking? Virtual "forums" where like-minded sociopaths can organise unsanctioned long-distance rides? Tis the age of the cybrevet, I tell you!

Good effort Andy, but alas you are showing yourself to be a product of the 90's. Which was the only time in history when "cyber" actually implied new and futuristic. Now it just means.....the 90's. But I applaud your effort!

How about the meglabrevet

GPS tracking? Virtual "forums" where like-minded sociopaths can organise unsanctioned long-distance rides? Tis the age of the cybrevet, I tell you!

Last edited:
The Cryptonomibrevet, a kind of virtual reality where the players (cyclists) appear in virtual worlds (segments) wielding virtual and upgradeable swords (bikes) where the aim is beat each other off (KOMing) to win the game.

Not sure what you've been getting upto recently on those lonely rindos, but whatever floats your boat !

You must be one of those traditional Chinese cyclists that believe KOMing will result in a loss of your "vital power" and enjoyment of the ride.

Sorry I misspelt it should have been Megalobrevet.

As in Magalodon, and megalomaniac.

I bet you understand now, eh?

theBlob, my limited awareness and knowledge of things of the future prevent me from understanding the significance of the "megla" prefix. Please make me a smarter cyclist and enlighten me :gomen:

Back
Top Bottom