Ride Sunday 24th April. Ronde Van Tama 2016

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Test yourself against the hardest, sharpest, and nastiest climbs within a 35.5 km radius of Tokyo. One after another, never ending like cheap sushi and just as devastating to your body. It all starts with the classic Renkohji (THE "climb" of the 2020 Olympic road race), winds its way over tens of climbs in the bamboo-lined country lanes and salaryman-lined suburban streets of Tama, finishing with the original hard man tester, a sprint to the top of Yomiuri Land V-Dori. There will be gravel, there will be gradients, and there will be getting lost..
Meeting at Noborito Station (here) at 9 am.
Pace will have to be fairly sedate at first, because the steepest climbs are always yet to come. A pie plate at the rear is recommended, and if not that then cleat covers for the climbs you may eventually have to walk up.

Route:

For inspiration, the actual route of the Ronde Van Vlaanderen:

Last edited:

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Thank you for being the first to register your interest! You get race number 1!
The official signing in ceremony will take place in front of anyone who happens to be stopped at the traffic lights outside the Lawson near Yanokuchi Station.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Congratulations on being the first to register! You need to pick up a race ticket. Race tickets are given out free with every purchase from the Lawson. When you get your race ticket, put your name, your name again but spelled out with mouth sounds, and your preferred resting place on the back and place it in the race ticket receptacle that is just below the coffee machine. Once you have done that and are officially registered to race, go home and wait for further advertising.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
The Ronde Van Tama has a strict anti-doping policy, with random urine testing implemented before and even during the route. Designated sample collection sites are as follows:
1) Yanokuchi Lawson toilets
2) Ipponsugi Park public toilets
3) Behind the bushes on the right up there
You will be requested to fill the sample collecting bowls at sites 1) and 2), after which a member of the anti-doping committee will flush them down the toilet for detailed testing. At sample collection point 3), a representative of the anti-doping committee will be waiting behind the bushes on the right up there to collect your sample. Just phone ahead and tell them you will be behind the bushes on the right up there, so they know exactly where to be.

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Toda, Saitama
Went out for a sighter ride today to check out some climbs for the first half of RVT. Considering making this a ride of two halves. First half south of the Onekansen, second half north of the Onekansen. Managed to get a good shot of me going up one of the climbs too. My photoshop skills aren't getting any better.
View attachment 13673
Magic. You are dancing like Picasso.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Oh god. Not my conscious intention.
Provisional route up now. Tried to keep it fairly easy going.
Stats: 120 km. 34 climbs. 2,000 m elevation. Max gradient 30% on climb 27.
So the steepest climb is 8% steeper than the Koppenberg, and guess which try-hard has the KOM :)
Pie-plates at the ready gentlemen.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
Updated with meeting date, time and place. Plans have changed slightly, so signing in will take place in this thread as well as at any other time and at any other place. Suffer & Enjoy!

If you've ever wondered what the climbs of Tama are like, then this is a good chance to do them all in one go and never come back (until next year....?).

Last edited:

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I will make every attempt to attend, but can you sign post it with arrows on the corners? Otherwise there is no chance I will finish!
(Edit: actually as it ends on yomiuri there is a very high chance I will finish, whether I hit the middle climbs is a bit more of uncertain)

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
As a cost-cutting procedure there will be no signage on the route. Instead, here is a sponsored link to a recommended navigational device with free shipping (link).
(There will be a sportive RvT that starts on Saturday morning and ends sometime Tuesday afternoon. You may wish to consider it.)

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
The organisers of RvT have decided to enact the EXTREME WEATHER PROTOCOL due to a strong likelihood of spotty showers on Sunday. Stakeholders will be gathered tomorrow to discuss possible cancellation of the event based on these extreme conditions. To be updated.