What's new

Sunday 16th: Hotaka Training 1

AlanW

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2007
On Sunday morning I will do a "short, fast blast" ride from Takao station. The route is here:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/54095964

Over Wadatoge from the east, past the country clubs and up to Kobu Tunnel. Warm up from the station, then hit the hills as hard as possible from the base of Wada.
Any speedy gentlemen or ladies interested in joining, let me know. Takao station, south exit at 8:45 or north exit Family Mart at 8:50am.

I will follow up this ride next week with a route over Doshi toge which is the same distance and amount of climbing as the Hotaka course.

Alan,
So nice course! I love those hills.
But I have a schedule on 16th...:(

looking forward to next time to see you!

My favourite training course!
count me in, ill let you know if I can't do it (there's a chance)

Broke my crank arm hurrying to station. Guess I should have taken things more slowly.

Weird is that my new dura cranks were just put in the mail yesterday - talk about coincidence! Maybe Ultegra got pissed because of that? Anyways, gonna head back home one-legged...

7ea24cac-0f63-7e4a.jpg

Thank you!!!

Hello Alan, Sergey, Naomi & Keith

Thanks for the ride today and was glad to be able to meet all of you except for Keith since I've been riding with him almost every week.

Hopefully I can regain my form back and be able to join you guys more regularly. Great route and training course for sure although I kept on wishing I am 7 kgs lighter during most of the ride.

Enjoy the rest of the day and hope to see you again soon. :climb01:

Gunnar, how could that happen? Makes me worried - or should I be happy not to use any Shimano cranks?

Broke my crank arm hurrying to station. Guess I should have taken things more slowly.

Weird is that my new dura cranks were just put in the mail yesterday - talk about coincidence! Maybe Ultegra got pissed because of that? Anyways, gonna head back home one-legged...

7ea24cac-0f63-7e4a.jpg

Blimey! That is a very interesting place for a crank to break. Have you hit it at all?

Great ride today with Sergey, Keith, Jesse and Naomi-san!

We set a high pace directly from the station, so by the time we reached the Wada "bus stop" turn, I think we were all warmed up. Wada itself was very slippery from last night's rain, which made the climb tricky (no power over the metal grates) and the descent even more so. I saw Naomi's back wheel lock up twice as she threaded her bike between an oncoming bus and the gravel verge :eek:
Next we did the "Golf Course" climb up to the flying-saucer/Dr. No inspired clubhouse, where the road was a bit drier.
The final climb of the day up to Kobu Tunnel was my last chance to push my limits, which I surely did! From there until the junction with the Tomin no Mori road was a cruise, but as soon as we turned towards Itsukaichi the TCC train started up, and was definitely running as a super-express :run01::run01::run01::run01::run01:
At Itsukaichi, Keith and Jesse headed straight home while Sergey, Naomi and I turned south towards Takao.

Thanks again lady and gents! What a fun ride.
Pics in the Gallery.

Gunnar takes the "best excuse for missing the ride" award. Now that's power!

Thanks for the great ride today. Sunburnt legs when I got home.
Sunburnt and tired!

Ludwig, Owen: I never have treated my cranks badly, e.g. hit something (I'm using 170mm so enough clearance) I explain it by two things:

Fatigue, these cranks have seen 20k+ km from me and probably a multiple from the prior user(s)

Cadence magnet, it's just awkward that it cracked just where the cable binder wrapped around the crank. Probably collected water and dirt and brought impurities to the metal, weakening it over time.

As for the force, I was out of the saddle, but not pushing that hard. I wish I had crank-breaking strength, but that's not it.

Shimano did a big crank recall once, but in general I think their products are well above doubt. Still doesn't help me as I'm out of warranty and not the one who bought it in Switzerland.

Back
Top Bottom