What's new

Sunday 15th Jan - L.S.Distance training Ride

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Sunday 15th Jan - L.S.Distance training Ride

To continue with the base training over the course of 3 weeks I will be leading another LSD ride on Sunday.

Meeting place: Lawson near Yanokuchi station (http://g.co/maps/vknbv)
Time: 8am :)
Course: Tamagawa-Kobu Tunnel- Sagamiko -Odarumi-Tamagawa (depending on weather)

These LSD rides are ridden in heart rate zone 1 and 2 (recovery zones) to build base. These are not hammerfest rides so if you are looking for a fast paced ride these are not it. Also if you get a head on the climbs I ask that you loop back to the last man climbing so that we are not waiting for everyone to get dressed and on the bikes again!

YOU CAN REST ON THE DOWNHILL :D

LSD-ゆっくり長距離ライド

私は今週の日曜日、矢野口駅からLSDトレーニングライドを先導します。集合時間は午前8時。最小限の休憩と、上りも込みで適度にゆっくり走る予定です。

多分、ライダーが脂肪燃焼して減量するための、また2012年のレースシーズンへの耐久性を養うための理想的なライドです。

コースは天候状況によるのでその日に決めますが、集合と解散は矢野口駅(通常の集合場所)近くのローソンです。

水のボトルを2本と、ライドの間に摂る食べ物を持参するか前もって購入するかしてください。昼食時にボトルに水を補給します。

日 程 : 1月15日(日)
集合時間 : 8:00
集合場所 : 矢野口交差点 横 ローソン (http://g.co/maps/vknbv)

James, please can you explain a bit more about this?

> heart rate zone 1 and 2 (recovery zones) to build base

Or just point me/us to a link. Thanks.

Actually I have just written a whole article on this which is being proof read ;)

Zone 1 and 2 are normally considered 65 -80% of your maximum heart rate and when linked with elevated cadence (90-110) have a lot of benefits to your body.

One of the primary benefits is how your body generates and processes fuel
Pedaling economy
Ability to transport oxygenated blood cells through the body more quickly
Increase of Mitochondria in your cells.

But a lot more detail will be covered in the article.

Here is the said article about LSD training and its benifits.

Great post James. Really well written.

The only thing I would add is that you can get good base training by doing other forms of exercise (ie. cross training) in HR zones 1 and 2. This is important if, like me, there is no opportunity to ride on the road in winter.

The only downside of cross training is that training is perhaps not cycling specific. To compensate for this, riding in the muscular endurance range, zone 3 (for me about 150 HR) every other day for about an hour is good training. Like you say, focusing on form and things like high cadence is important here.

Anyway, really enjoyed the article. Keep up the good work!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I'd like to join this time, but I may not be able to get to the meeting point by 8:00. (depending on Sat night drinking:))
I'll try to be there, but please don't wait for me if I don't make it.

Eugen

Andy,

One thing you need to understand however the time scale is needed in those zones to benefit from it. Studies have proven that training under 5 hours does not give any benefits to LSD training especially on a cellular level. Anything over 7 hours again has no real benefits over that of training between 5-7 hours. Thus why cross country skiing or swimming is a huge following by cyclists in the off season.

However a rider like yourself Andy really requires little LSD training and would only suggest it once the roads clear and for a limited time to allow the body to adjust to the work load, then upping the frequency and load of the training. Going straight in to interval without any prep is dangerous and can result in injury.

Bird,

One of the comments made after the ride last week was "I can train slow and fast twitch on the same ride."

This is true, however you have already placed a huge work load on the body and then going off and doing some intervals, such has hill climb repeats or sprint intervals is going to put a massive load on the body that could result in injury, especially if your body isn't ready for these intensive workouts.

A more important factor is consistency, how good do you think your climbing technique or sprinting effort is going to be after 5 or more hours in the saddle? Do you think the training session is going to be perfect?

I don't think so, your climbing technique will be shoddy at best, you will blow out mid climb and all you will be doing is developing poor technique rather than perfect technique and let's face it, that's what training is about.

Training is about perfecting your technique and fitness level so that when the time comes your body responds in the correct way. As soon as you can no longer complete a training session perfectly it's time to stop and recover otherwise you just get good at doing something badly.

Double AMEN! I haven't decided yet if I'll do the CX / MSD, or start on this for LSD. BTW, James, since you have fixed gear , when do you plan to initiate a real Continental style LSD and require 42 /18 fixed for 5-7hrs? 6 of these sessions and your boys (and girls) will really understand the 'communion of the pedal'.

This is a powerful stuff that while completely true and applicable to cycling definitely trancends it!

It's single speed Tim, not fixed.

LOL I know!

Course is up for tomorrows ride:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/895170

A little more climbing than I wanted but the Kobu climb is easily climbed in zone 1 and 2 if you are spinning.

Bird.... I haven't even left yet.... its an 8am meeting at Yanokuchi.... from Tokyo will take 45 minutes

Back
Top Bottom