What's new

sun protection -- lower legs

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Anticipating (hoping for!) clear skies and planning some multiday touring in late August & Sept., I've been looking around for any kind of below-the-bike-shorts and above-the-socks sun protection. Last year I just used good sun block (over five days), and tho it worked acceptably well, I've wondered if there might be alternatives.

The only possibles that I've come up with so far are compression tights ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Compression_Tights/5360039130/ ) and maybe some lightweight pants that also work as rain gear ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sportful_Micro_Shell_Cycling_Trousers_2008/5360048531/ ), but I'd wonder that either of those, esp. the latter, would be too steamy hot. I've looked for, but have been unable to find, covers for legs that are comparable to those for arm UV protection. There are some MTB-like trousers, tho I am unsure if they'd be any more comfortable than the tights. (I'll be on a touring bike, not my road, so they may be okay to wear.)

Another tactic might be to find the longest available socks (I know, totally un-fashion-ista), so that only my knees would be exposed & sun blocked. E.g., http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Craft_Compression_Socks/5360050223/

I recently picked up a Mont Bell shirt, worn only a few times as yet, that seems great for arms/neck: http://webshop.montbell.jp/common/images/product/prod_k/m_k_1130260_prbl.jpg (mine's white). Lightweight, very breathable poly, but they don't have anything similar for the lower body. ((That's just the image, if you're interested to order, go to http://en.montbell.jp/products/goods/category.php?category=77 and click on "cycling shirt" and then scroll down.))

Suggestions? I might be out for a couple weeks this time (tohoku, I hope), and something easier/less messy than daily suntan lotion would be nice.

tia,

John D.

A lot of kit is now UV protective, my racing kit by Champ Sys is UV protective and I just used sun block on the exposed areas of skin.

There is no way I could imagine riding in August in full length kit of an type!

I've been looking around for any kind of below-the-bike-shorts and above-the-socks sun protection. Last year I just used good sun block (over five days), and tho it worked acceptably well, I've wondered if there might be alternatives.
No way could I cover up my arms/legs for summer riding. In fact I treasure and nurture the patches on the back of my hands where the sun shines though my gloves.

I use a waterproof sunblock SPF50+ (white bottle, red cap, available at most convenience stores). You'll only need half the amount you might suspect, as it costs an arm and a leg to buy!

Also a pack of make-up removal tissues to get it off at the end of the day. I'm afraid the best ones I've found are called 'Puff'. If you've done enough Rule 5 I think you can buy these with your head held high.

--HF Mike--

...make-up remover tissues...

Yes, excellent idea, I hadn't thought of anything like that, which could make cleanup easier than requiring a shower or bath. I generally use a titanium dioxide block (the preferred type in hawaii), but that type also leaves a heavier coating to deal with, and my wife doesn't like it.

Saw some spray-on UV block at Y's - I'll try this out. It seems really handy. The green tea UV blocks look interesting as well - up to SPF25 or so...

Pearl Izumi make UV cut arm and leg covers. I use the arm covers, they are great! Get the white ones! 50++ cream takes care of the legs and face.

Also a pack of make-up removal tissues to get it off at the end of the day. I'm afraid the best ones I've found are called 'Puff'. If you've done enough Rule 5 I think you can buy these with your head held high.

--HF Mike--

Perfect for handing out to riders who haven't applied lashings of rule 5

Perfect for handing out to riders who haven't applied lashings of rule 5
...at risk of oneself being in breach of Rule 29-31, or potentially Rule 2, to get the things there in the first place.

I really like The Rules; the same sort of delicious irony as "Performance" - point a finger at someone and there's three more pointing right back at'cha.

Hmm, I'm really starting to worry about some members on this forum. Nail polish remover for decals, makeup remover for sunblock, what's next, oh that's right Lance is already doing it.....stockings filled with ice:confused:

I think the idea of these UV cut arm and leg covers is that they also help you cool your body by giving your skin a broader surface for releasing sweat and thus cooling you down. Those that use them think they work, so there must be some truth to it.

The alternative to this type of system is to leave your skin unshaven - achieves the same thing quite effectively. If only cyclists weren't so vain...

It is worth trying out different types of sun cream to find out what works best for you. In the past I have had some expensive brand cream which came off quite easily with sweat and thus left me with occasional burns. Now I use cheaper brands which work much better, and also feel better. I use different strength for face, legs and arms, and adjust to the season/length of ride.

suntan lotion

I realize I'm probably a good skin cancer candidate but I've always used Coppertone SPF2 suntan lotion for my (shaved) legs and arms...I guess I'm awfully narcissistic & vain :D !

I love the coconut scent and the lotion is waterproof. The trick is to start using this stuff from early spring and gradually work up a protective straw-color, bronze skin which really stops the sun from burning you red.

Only on my face (especially my big nose :D) I apply sunblock cream...

15yw40k.jpg

I guess I'll be looking at some of the block options mentioned above. A spray type, at least if it comes in a small enough container to schlep along on a multiday tour (even tho those coppertone spray bottles look like they'd fit in a bottle cage), and besides the wipes, maybe something that's not as thick/creamy as what I've been using. Wiggle doesn't stock the Pearl UV-cut leg covers that zenbiker mentioned. Will ask around locally and do some other searches for those.

btw, the Mont Bell shirt I linked to in my OP is really nice. Got it for a slight discount at a big box sports store (Alpen), marked down as old stock. Temperature-wise, it's the coolest shirt I have, in spite of the sleeves. Downside is only one teensy pocket.

Thanks to all,

John D.

I have Coppertone sport sunblock sent over from back home (Canada) and I find it works very well and is easy to apply and does not leave the skin appearing white.

Arm coolers...

Here's the answer....:)

166g1a0.jpg

Sweet! I love my Kapelmuur stuff! These look good - but white gets nasty when you're doing the hiki in the rain! Wonder if they can turn out a camo version (like the kit the guy was wearing at top of Yabitsu)

One of my local shops had the Pearl UV-cut leg covers mentioned above--and in four sizes, S thru XL. A bit more than on the web but I think I'll support the shop. They also have the arm covers, tho I think the long-sleeved shirt I linked to in my OP is fine (very airy and cool), and I might spring for a second one.

I do realize this stuff isn't standard kit. But I'm planning to ride for up to three weeks (if I can handle it!), and will be out in the sun far more than usual.**

I've applied for time off from 8/23 thru 9/10, and could even include the weekends on either end of that. Will train it to Akita-shi (a single overnight track from here, no changes), and intend to wander north from there, then ferries over to Hakodate for some southern Hokkaido, then back across and down the spine of Tohoku.

**At least I hope it'll be sunny. :)

Back
Top Bottom