What's new

Postponed Sun Oct 9, Shiraishi and about (maybe back too)

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
For months now I've been meaning to take another go at Shiraishi when it gets a bit cooler, and finally this is the weekend.

When: Sun (Oct 9) at 8:30 am (could perhaps postpone to 9 am if anyone is interested, but can't do earlier or later). If the weather changes drastically would consider doing it on Mon instead, but most probably this goes on on Sun.

Where: Meet at the spaceship (see this if you don't know where/
what that is: https://tokyocycle.com/…/where-and-what-is-the-spaceshi…/

I will go up Arakawa the usual route (convini break 30km or so from the start) to the Tokigawa base station (another quick break, some 55 km from the start). Pace will be steady but really moderate, as I'd like to save the legs for the climb.

After climbing Shiraishi there are several options, depending on the group and conditions. The quickest is to just descend to Ogawa machi and take a train back. We may also stop by Cafe Hana for carbo loading (pizza, gelato, cinnamon rolls etc.) and then climb back over Sadamine to Ogawa machi for a train.

Or I/we may even ride back along Arakawa. At the moment the forecast says it's mostly southern wind in the morning, turning to mostly northern in the afternoon. So if we're lucky they may be tailwind both going there and on our way back. Can't beat that!

Definitely let me know if you're coming, as I/we may change plans on the go if I/we think we've got everyone already.

Tailwind there and back??? Ha ha , unlikely ;)

Sub 25mins on Shiraishi on the cards?

Tailwind there and back??? Ha ha , unlikely ;)
Shut up, trying to attract people here! ;)

Sub 25 min is still a distant dream I'm afraid. I'll be pleased with 27 min or so this time around (had 28:4something in the heat of July). But only time will tell. I was completely off the bike for 2 weeks prior to this one, so may even fare worse! :cool:

Sorry about it, good points. From the spaceship (starting point) it's about 60km to the start of Shiraishi, which is itself 6.3 km at about 8% avg. This climb alone is just under 600 m of vertical elevation. From there to Ogawa machi is less than 20 km, mostly downhill, so the shortest variation is about 80km. Going down to Hana and back would add 10 km, 5 downhill, 5 back up but far less steep than Shiraishi, so total of 90 or so, with about 1,000 m of elevation. Riding back on Arakawa would of course be another 60 plus kms. So that's the basic math.

You can check the Strava of my last ride up there. The first 15 km were from my home to the spaceship, so you can dismiss that part. I forgot to turn it back on on the descent for a while, so got a straight line for a bit, but you get the general idea. The ride was uploaded at Hana, as I didn't wanna lose it.

Cautiously optimistic about the weather tomorrow. See the pic for the latest forecast at Higashi Matsuyama, where Tokigawa is. I'll make the final call tomorrow around 7 am, based on the weather then. I've only had one person interested so far, but surely there must be more of you itching to stretch your legs? Completely WATT - I've ridden with people who take more than an hour on Shiraishi, so plenty off patience :cool: PM me

Clipboard03.jpg

I want to join you, and I don't mind the rain. It is a little late start for me for tomorrow, have to be back before noon to be a tour guide for friends visiting. But for sure another time... been doing most of the riding with the gang in West Tokyo with a sunday start time of 5 am. OUCH!

Have a good ride.

Yeah, sometimes I'd do those early starts in the summer to avoid the heat, but if I can help it I don't wanna get up on a holiday earlier than I do on a work day! Maybe next time then @TokyoLiving

OK, postponing this after all. Now the forecast is for 6mm rain and the only other person interested also called quits. Some other day then...

hI luka. I might take a shot at shiraishi tomorrow if i wake up early enough. Message me if you wanna have a go at it too.

Finally finally good weather after a month of rain.

@tigerkamen It's been a while! I'd love to ride with you again mate. But tomorrow Warren's got this 3,000 m elevation ride, so I can't miss it. Shiraishi is almost our back yard, let's hit it one of the next weekends (weather permitting!)

Back
Top Bottom