What's new

Ride Sun. 3rd July Shiraishi heat

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Hello all.

Quick post for anyone who is looking for a ride tomorrow. Up the Arakawa, over Shiraishi and down Sadamine. Back by 12pm. This is an early start and early finish - for all those who love the dawn.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll try to be there to join for the river part. Don't wait for me if i don't show up by 630am. A bit knackerd from today and have some engagement to go to tonight

Nice ride today. thanks @Mlac Peek . Unfortunately for me I heard a ping rounding a corner after Monomiyama and then noticed that I had no sound coming from my rear hub on free wheel. It was still driving so I figured the spring had broken and only one of the pawls was engaging. Not exactly the way you want to have your bike out in the hills in this heat. we stopped at the conbini and listening carefully you could hear one was still engaging. So we decided to stay away from the steepest hills and headed for Sadamine. I stayed in the saddle and tried to keep things easy and consistent in the peddling.

Anyway made it to the top then down and all the way home, there were a few clunks here and there but got home. On close inspection the small spring that engages all the pawls had snapped and luckily the snap was on the other side of the first pawl so it stayed working.

I figured my wheel would be out of use for the next week or two as I'm sure that was an order only part, but then i remembered that @Chrisisism had been kind enough to give me another wheelset when i got the bike, so I opened the other wheels freehub up and found that parts were interchangeable so back in action!!

All the good shit was waiting for me when I got home. Watermelon in the fridge, kiddie pool primed and ready for action! So straight into the swimmers and into the pool with the watermelon!! Awesome!

It was an old school ride for Mr Peek and myself who used to this regularly a few years back. Leave at 5:30 home by 12 with 160km done and avoiding most of the savage heat. Thanks mate! Top fun as always!

Nice ride today. thanks @Mlac Peek . Unfortunately for me I heard a ping rounding a corner after Monomiyama and then noticed that I had no sound coming from my rear hub on free wheel. It was still driving so I figured the spring had broken and only one of the pawls was engaging. Not exactly the way you want to have your bike out in the hills in this heat. we stopped at the conbini and listening carefully you could hear one was still engaging. So we decided to stay away from the steepest hills and headed for Sadamine. I stayed in the saddle and tried to keep things easy and consistent in the peddling.

Anyway made it to the top then down and all the way home, there were a few clunks here and there but got home. On close inspection the small spring that engages all the pawls had snapped and luckily the snap was on the other side of the first pawl so it stayed working.

I figured my wheel would be out of use for the next week or two as I'm sure that was an order only part, but then i remembered that @Chrisisism had been kind enough to give me another wheelset when i got the bike, so I opened the other wheels freehub up and found that parts were interchangeable so back in action!!

All the good shit was waiting for me when I got home. Watermelon in the fridge, kiddie pool primed and ready for action! So straight into the swimmers and into the pool with the watermelon!! Awesome!

It was an old school ride for Mr Peek and myself who used to this regularly a few years back. Leave at 5:30 home by 12 with 160km done and avoiding most of the savage heat. Thanks mate! Top fun as always!
Avoiding the heat of the afternoon??? Where's the fun in that?

Climbing up odarumi toge yesterday, I went through two water bottles within about 8km.

Yeah, heavy! I got onto the water early and stayed hydrated but drank a lot of water!
Those guys are going to be hurting today taking on that hill, it's a bunch hotter today than yesterday I think..?

Avoiding the heat of the afternoon??? Where's the fun in that?

Climbing up odarumi toge yesterday, I went through two water bottles within about 8km.

I bailed early and left them to Odarumi. It was sweltering out there. Hot at the top of Yanagisawa but when we got down to Enzan it was brutal heat.
The early start (4:30wake up), hot conditions, fuck all riding recently, and the AIDS left me feeling like I'd have more fun eating natto so I cried off again.

The group was in high spirits when I left them but had decided that 5pm was the turnaround time.

Much water was consumed.

@Musashi13 Once they get past the first 5 or 6k, they'll have some shade and the heat won't be so bad. It's just getting past that point..... That's the no fun part.

Always fun rolling with you @theBlob - shame about the hub, but good that you could sort it out sharpish!

Definitely worth getting up early in order to beat the heat. For the hot days this is an ideal training ride, not too taxing on the system, and an excellent workout. 5am start next time?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, the Arakawa turns into a furnace in sections owing to the high grass/reeds.
I died a thousand deaths riding home. There would've been temps well above 35 in sections.
Early early early is the best way to do these rides at this time of year.

I climbed Shiraishi too on Saturday, which was cooler than Sun. But having gone pretty late, ended up climbing the thing at the hottest time of the day - around 3 pm. There was no one on a bicycle, except for two geezers pushing their bikes on foot. Got almost hit by a car that was speeding completely on my side of the road on the climb. He could obviously see me but for some reason kept going at me until about 2 meters, when he moved slightly. Almost got off the road. Same thing again descending down Sadamine, when a big bike decided it's fun to speed through corners completely in the opposite lane. Missed me by a meter again, and another cyclist descending right behind me. Wish I had my camera with me, these people need to be reported and dealt with.

Yeah, it must have been idiots day in that area on the weekend. I had two close calls on my descent of Shiraishi as well. I was taking it super easy and was almost sent into bushes by idiots intent on their race lines irrelevant of other road users.

I climbed Shiraishi too on Saturday, which was cooler than Sun. But having gone pretty late, ended up climbing the thing at the hottest time of the day - around 3 pm. There was no one on a bicycle, except for two geezers pushing their bikes on foot. Got almost hit by a car that was speeding completely on my side of the road on the climb. He could obviously see me but for some reason kept going at me until about 2 meters, when he moved slightly. Almost got off the road. Same thing again descending down Sadamine, when a big bike decided it's fun to speed through corners completely in the opposite lane. Missed me by a meter again, and another cyclist descending right behind me. Wish I had my camera with me, these people need to be reported and dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom