What's new

Ride Sun 23rd Aug - Kazahari Rindo + Nokogiri South Approach

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Just sliding on the big cassette and doing it. Kazahari Rindo is 6.3 km at 10.5% average. Nokogiri South is 5.7 km at 9.3%. Climbs are WATT within reason, stopping for food at Musashi-Itsukaichi, Tomin-no-Mori, a conbini somewhere along Ome Kaido, and anywhere in-between for beverages. Can meet anyone interested in this at the Yanokuchi Lawson (start point of the route) at 6:30 am, or the 7/11 near Musashi-Itsukaichi Station at around 7:45 am. I'll be getting the train back from Ome station. Post below if interested in meeting up.
Route

It's one of those climbs that has to be done at some point. At some point in the distant future.

What's your eta at the foot of Nokogiri?
If it's not too early, I might be able to meet you either by climbing the north side, or going via Umenoki Toge.

Ok. I don't think I'll be able to make it tomorrow.

I'm planning to do the north side of Nokogiri along with Toki-saka and Umenoki-toge in the next few weeks if you're interested.
Start time would be reasonably early--say, 8.30am or 9am in Oume.

Fine rain saw me off along the Tamagawa and continued up as far as Hinohara. Made it over Kazahari Rindo but it turned out to be a 70s TV presenter of a climb (monster). So steep I was grinding up in 34/30 with heart rate well below what it could be to get just 8th on Strava. One positive of the day was being overtaken by three Nalsima try-hards in paceline mode before the fork in the road at Hinohara Village, but descending from the rindo to find all three still climbing up Kazahari. Lol. Wimped out of Nokogiri and did Tossaka instead. 6th on Strava. Rode back for hundred sixty something kilometres.

Last edited:
Isehara was lovely but the hills were in the clouds, much like Arima on Friday. The rain came slow and fine at first but then burst into full on buckets. There was talk of turning back but I stared on up the road until my intent was known and we rode on at a slow pace. One keeno flew past me in order to take some photos of us further up but some people didn't realise this and took up the chase. I couldn't let that happen so reeled them back in with a constant tempo (been reading The Climb - Chris Froomiedog). The last few km of the climb were done properly.
Loads of cars on the way down, which was dry, got past them eventually and rocketed past the turn I was meant to take, had to climb back up that beast to go onto a nice rindo which ended in a gate that I turned past not knowing I should have gone through it. The road I took was horrendous but an experience. I heard shouting so went back and found everyone tutting about my second wrong turn holding them up (I'm sure they needed the break really). After that we sailed down to Isehara again and ended the ride without a loop that was meant to give us another 30km and 600m climbing with some gravel thrown in, oh well.
It hadn't rained at all in Isehara, exactly like it hadn't rained in Hanno on Friday.
That's a Rapha ride. There were some stops I didn't quite understand and a range of people and abilities. Always an enjoyable day out.
Finished with a massive Katsu tei shoko and a beer. Nearly home where I pack and go to Shizuoko without the bike. The bike needs a clean before I leave it alone in the house for the week.

The good thing about Kazahari Rindo is the road surface is really good. So that's one excuse for a poor showing out the window. Otherwise its about half a Zoncolan.

Kazahari is a beast.

Last time I did it my preparation was terrible (not enough sleep or food and mild food poisoning from the day before) and I puked half way up.

Back
Top Bottom