What's new

Ride Sun 16th Aug. Kasayama forest mystery

Mlac Peek

Peek pace master
Jun 12, 2012
Hi all. I'll be heading out to the hills with @Musashi13 this Sunday 16th to check out a new climb that I found while out exploring today. We'll be taking the usual route up the Arakawa at a steady 30 - 35kph, then hitting two or three climbs (WATT) before the return leg back down the river. If the wind is kind we'll pick up the pace on the way back.

Below is the ride I did today but we won't be following it exactly once we get to the hills.

Date: Sunday 16th August 2015
Meet: Spaceship
Time: 6am
Distance: 150km+
Level: Hardcore

Last edited:
Looks good mate. Can't ride tomorrow unfortunately... :(

Hi. I'd like to join you guys at least for the first part up the river. I might do a u-turn half way or get the train back. I'll see how it goes. Anyway, see you there at 6.

I've got a flat. Please go ahead without me. I wasn't feeling too good this morning anyway. Have a nice day.

@Musashi13 had to turn around at the top of the river to take care of a sore arse (no homo) so I ended up rolling solo for this ride. It was a nice one. The hills were wet from a huge downpour in the wee hours so it was nice and cool on the climbs but there were bits of debris everywhere and some slick sections of road.

The Kasayama forest climb is killer and will become a regular fixture - it has a fairly gentle gradient and winds over a gushing stream all the way up. At the top you can either take a left and head down towards route 172 or go straight and hit the top of Kasayama - some of you will know where it joins the regular Kasayama south climb just below the summit. I threw in a couple more climbs and enjoyed the cooler temperatures until I came down off the slopes and stopped for refreshments at the 7-Eleven at the bottom of the 172. Then the sun came out - with a vengeance - and I suffered all the way back down the river battling with the heat and a moody side/headwind which got stronger the closer to home I got. It was mad. After I reached the Spaceship I was fighting just to keep 30kph. I think I passed @TimeTraveler riding along with another TCC jersey just before I got off the river - was that you? Sorry I didn't stop to chat.

Once home I sat under a cold shower for a good twenty minutes just cooling down - nothing like a cold shower after a hot sticky ride down the Arakawa. Pure bliss.

163km, 2,324m elevation (according to Strava, which means more like 1,800m).
Sweat lost - buckets.
Legs - hammered.
Mood - lets do it again soon!

Finally figured out which forrest road you are talking about. (looking at your route) I think @leicaman routed that climb earlier this year, I starts of pretty fierce right? I might be mistaken but I know I've descended that way earlier this year.

Kasayama is definitely one of my new favourites in that area as well, pretty much everything else of decent length in that area as been done to death.

I wouldn't call the start fierce at all. I'd say the Kasayama south climb starts off pretty fierce. The forest climb has a huge waterfall pouring out of a high wall on a smallish dam at the very bottom, if that helps?

Yeah, there are more bits to explore around that area for me so really enjoying it at the mo'.

Mlac Peek said:
I think I passed @TimeTraveler riding along with another TCC jersey just before I got off the river - was that you? Sorry I didn't stop to chat.

Yeah, that was my wife and me out for a ride. I am often on the Arakawa. Let's get together for a ride soon.

I wouldn't call the start fierce at all. I'd say the Kasayama south climb starts off pretty fierce. The forest climb has a huge waterfall pouring out of a high wall on a smallish dam at the very bottom, if that helps?

Yeah, there are more bits to explore around that area for me so really enjoying it at the mo'.
Ah! found the ride, you are correct, we took another side road up and joined up with the same road later on. https://www.strava.com/activities/275207374
From what you described your route sound more like my cup of tea!

Back
Top Bottom