Half Fast Sun 14th - Tokyo - Kamakura - BBQ

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Announcing, on Sunday Aug 14, the Bay BBQ ride. RSVP by Thurs.

Distance is 80 - 90km.

It's a Yokohama Bay ride, extended. Returning by train. Departing by *09:30* from the Grand Hyatt hotel in Roppongi Hills.

Make it down to Yokohama bay and chill in the breeze as usual for a beverage break. Continuing on, we stay on a southbound bearing a further distance until near Kamakura. A BBQ spot is being prepared. In order to know how much food to prepare, we need to hear numbers by around Thurs, so RSVP.

Other add-in points are: Y's Garage bike shop (Ota-ku); Yokohama Bay - contact me if you want to join from one of these places.

Return after the BBQ party will be by train so bring a bike bag. Bring some money for the BBQ. With the BBQ, expect an all-day event - catch your return train after 5, probably later if you're not in a hurry.

Note the early start time - 9:30 that day. Not a beginners ride due to distance. Course is mostly flat but with a hill or two to keep us fresh.

What to bring: BBQ money; bike bag; sunscreen; sun shades

RSVP to leoramos(at)yahoo.co.jp by Thurs.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Had a good time!

Thanks Mike, and Leo from Half-Fast Cycling.

My friend, Jason, just bought his very first road-bike about two weeks ago, and was looking forward to joining a group ride.

Although we wouldn't be going the whole distance (to Kamakura), we could at least join the group for part of the way, from Y's Bike Garage in Ota-ku to Yokohama - 30km.

Many thanks to Leo (the ride leader) for coming up with a winding, roundabout route that stayed off the main roads, and also took in the best part of the Tsurumigawa CR.

I was quite surprised at the size of the group; as over 20 riders pulled up at Y's, most of them having ridden from Roppongi. We all left Y's at about 11:30, and after crossing Tamagawa, we headed SW towards Tsurumigawa.

Jason's longest ride prior to this (last week) was 15km, so just by riding as far as Yokohama, he would double the distance of his last ride; add to that, the ride home from Yokohama, and his total of 45km brought it to 3 times that.
*Note: Mathematically, in keeping with this ratio, Jason's next ride will have to be at least 135km :p

>Mike: I hope the rest of you made it safely to Kamakura, and had a great time at the barbeque! Thanks for letting us join you.

After saying goodbye to Jason, I rode the rest of the way home, with 85km for the day - Nothing too strenuous, but it was "just good to be on the bike"!

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Yeah, good to have you along, Travis. Hope Jason enjoyed himself. And glad that you're on the mend.

Here's the official photo albummm

Always delighted to have 'real' cyclists along on Half Fast rides. Share your experience with the next generation. Or just enjoy a day out on your bike with normal people instead of trying to deejinate each other into the dirt!

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Or just enjoy a day out on your bike with normal people instead of trying to deejinate each other into the dirt!
I really want to comment on this gratuitous attack on deejination, but there's no time to do that now because I have to jump on my rollers so I can get faster in time for the weekend, when I plan on grimly riding fast with other people who are fast and, by extension, not normal, because they, like, actually enjoy getting stronger on the bike and redefining their boundaries. :p

Deej

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Deej, I'm sorry. I intended no offense to you, your rollers, sub-/super-normal people, specifically or in general, and/or their boundaries, however defined. :eek:
Mike, no apologies necessary, man. I was just being cheeky, and I totally got your meaning. And to prove that to you, I pledge to be drunk the next time we meet.