What's new

Ride Sun 14th September - Otsuki 4.5

wexford

Maximum Pace
Jul 3, 2012
This is one of those rides that I've just gotta try again. I rode this solo last year but gave up after 2.5 mountains due to freezing my ass off. I want to try to do the full loop this time.

This is not a ride for the faint of heart but I'm gonna give it ago. I'd love some company to help the pedals go around on this mad journey. I won't be going out too hard this time so as to leave something in the bank for the later climbs but I don't want it to take all day either and it's a longish ride of nothing but ups and downs.

An early start is in order I think so I'll be shooting for arrival at Otsuki at 06:37. I'll catch a train leaving from Nakano station at 05:05. Will probably re-fill my bottles in the combini at the station or the 7-eleven down the road before the first turn off. I need to double check the trains but it looks ok right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Where to Meet: Otsuki Station (south exit)
Time to Meet: Sunday 14th September at 6:45am

My Train: Nakano station (front carriage) leaving at 5:05am. One change at Toyoda station to train leaving at 05:48. Arrives 6:37am at Otsuki station.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 127km and about 3000m of climbing. I don't know how accurate ridewithgps is. Here is the route which I copied from Joe who copied from someone else who ...

Would love you aboard especially if you know the route (I don't as I haven't ridden it before). You are welcome to come and blow your legs off up each climb so long as you wait for me :) Hopefully, we'll average a reasonable pace. Maybe 8 hours? Stop for food on top of Yanagisawa.

Last edited:
Would love to join, but will probably just have gone to bed when you wake up for this.

Btw, do you know if this route works both clockwise and anti-clockwise?

I really want to do the 4.5 but the comfort of the bed is likely to get the better of me. I'll see how I feel on Saturday (which will depend on whether there's a ride on Saturday) and let you know.

Would love to join, but will probably just have gone to bed when you wake up for this.

Btw, do you know if this route works both clockwise and anti-clockwise?
It only works anti-clockwise. If you attempt it clockwise, both your wheels will fall off and you will get nasty hemorrhoids within 5km.

@wexford, I last had a go at it 2 months ago and only managed a 3.5. I had started from Okutama station and was planning to save Matsuhime for the finale, but ran out of time.

Even in July it was much cooler there than down here in Tokyo. The previous time I did it (June 2012) I got caught in a rainstorm at the top of Matsuhime when I climbed that for the second time, and that part wasn't much fun.

I would offer to join you, but then you'd have to add 3-4 hours to your time estimate ;)

As for navigation, I really didn't find it difficult. There are few turns and if you download a GPX from RWGPS into your Garmin that should be enough.

No worries. Even if no one is interested in doing it anti-clockwise with me, I'll try it solo so long as the weather looks reasonable. Right now, Sunday is looking good.

@leicaman - before you mentioned attempting this 3 x times to get above 10,000m. I think we could start together and then you can try and lap me before I get back to Otsuki. Assuming you are 40% faster than me because of the Rapha gear, I think you can do it.

@joewein - yeah, I don't really want to plan on those extra hours - but it would be great to ride with you again (and good to see you back here). Perhaps another ride. Let's stay in touch.

@Andy in Tokyo and @Sibreen - you know you want to.

Btw. What would folks bring with them clothing wise on a ride like this? Last year I did it in October and had a short sleeve jersey I think. Weather was pretty nice as I recall. Depending on the temps, I guess this year I was thinking of a short sleeve jersey, a base layer and arm warmers for the descents. I'd also bring a soft sleeveless shell for the descents. I tend to boil in warm weather in a lot of clothes so don't like to climb wearing much and one only has a certain amount of jersey pockets including bike bag. Those peaks can be nippy though. hmmmm.

@wexford I'd be careful wearing those Rapha arm warmers for the descents. Your arms will get to the bottom 20% quicker than the rest of you. The results are shocking:

340px-Gibbonarms.jpeg

one only has a certain amount of jersey pockets including bike bag.
You are going around in a loop with no stations along the way. Do you really need to carry your bike bag with you? Couldn't you stash it under a bush @ Otsuki? If you have to bail and roll down to Enzan, there's always the bin bags of shame.
Those peaks can be nippy though. hmmmm.
As I say to colleagues who are new off the boat: we try to avoid using that word.

You are going around in a loop with no stations along the way. Do you really need to carry your bike bag with you? Couldn't you stash it under a bush @ Otsuki? If you have to bail and roll down to Enzan, there's always the bin bags of shame.
As I say to colleagues who are new off the boat: we try to avoid using that word.

Does this mean you are coming @Half-Fast Mike? Actually, I bailed at Enzan the last time. Not exactly on the loop but an easier ride to when pulling the plug. Am going to try avoid that this time though!

Does this mean you are coming @Half-Fast Mike?
I do want to do that ride - especially the last two climbs which I have never done. But it's only going to happen if I run out of excuses. (The time I would have to get up is the royal flush of excuses.) And only if I can wear my jersey and do the joke all day. And only if the weather's nice.

I do want to do that ride - especially the last two climbs which I have never done. But it's only going to happen if I run out of excuses. (The time I would have to get up is the royal flush of excuses.) And only if I can wear my jersey and do the joke all day. And only if the weather's nice.

You can have special permission. Weather looks good right now. Fingers crossed.

Who have you paid - and how much - to get a whole day off from childcare? Or are you towing the pram?

I find its usually better to do something rather than ask permission. So far I've told her I won't be needing lunch. Very naughty I know. Anyway - this is probably the last big ride of the year for me before I head off for October.

I've updated the initial post to make the meeting time and place a little clearer. Haven't got any positive responses yet but it's still early. I'm probably going to be dead as its been a savage week so far with baby sleep (or no sleep rather). Thinking of sleeping in the basement Saturday night in order to get some decent kip. Anyway - weather is looking good. Should be a good ride.

My knee has been holding up quite well recently so I will most likely join you for Matsuhime to see how it holds up on a longer climb. Maybe the one after too but most likely no more than that. I'll probably turn right after descending off Matsuhime and ride home via Ome.

My knee has been holding up quite well recently so I will most likely join you for Matsuhime to see how it holds up on a longer climb. Maybe the one after too but most likely no more than that. I'll probably turn right after descending off Matsuhime and ride home via Ome.

You big wuss. You should push it to see how much it can take. It's only a knee. You've got another one.

In all seriousness though, great to see you back on your bike mate. Looking forward to riding with you someday soon.

@wexford take care of our little Johnboy. He's very fragile.

Looks like two is company and three is a crowd tomorrow. Weather should be good. Think I'm going to go with a long sleeve jersey though rather than risk getting long arms. At this point, PM me if you are coming or I might miss the post.

Johnboy will be getting VIP seating tomorrow - front row baby!

Yep, looking forward to it. I'll be getting on the train at Nakano as well so see you there. Did you get the compact on?

Back
Top Bottom