What's new

Summer heat

Screaming Lord

Cruising
Jan 4, 2014
Hi all. I'm currently in The Uk and bringing my bike over for July & August. We just had a Japanese Surgeon visit us here recently and he told my wife he was worried about me getting heat exhaustion and stories of tyres melting. Now she's worried. Is it really that bad ? I've been to Japan a few times before, but never rode there. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.:)

Nothing in the UK compares to summer in Tokyo. High humidity, not a cloud in the sky, not a gust of wind, and well above 30 (in the shade) for the whole of August and probably most of July.

That's Tokyo, and anywhere south of here will be worse, but which part of Japan are you staying in?

Last edited:
Staying in Chiba-Ken near Lake Kameyama. Planning to do a ride to Fuji Yoshida (about 170k using the ferry to Kurihama) and then go up to Go-Gome.

Well Go-Gome is a good choice as it stays cooler up there. As said above, expect it to be much hotter and more humid than in the UK and drink accordingly but otherwise not life-threatening. Melting rubber sounds an exaggeration to me, though melting me is normal...

I rode from Tokyo to 5go-me and back to sea level at Odawara last July (see report here), 226 km total.

While it was cooler on the last couple of km of Fuji Subaru line, most of the route including Yamanakako at 900 m elevation was still above 30 degrees C. Shade from trees made a bigger difference to comfort than anything else. Take your time and drink plenty of water, then your plan is very doable.

Back
Top Bottom