What's new

Summer clothes

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I am trying not to spend 150$ on a T,shirt, and another 200$ on a pair of glorified shorts... But i realise I may have no option...

Anyway the point of this thread is to ask for advice on clothing.

I have only bought dhb gear as it was the cheapest. The winter kit I had from them had a good pad in it and was very comfortable. Unfortunately the Summer pants I have I bought before I decided I was going to persue cycling as an ongoing activity. They were the cheapest thing I could find and they aren't so comfortable.

Can anyone recommend any brands or websites (besides wiggle) that sell cycling clothes

Thanks

TCC team kit mate - cheapest you'll get!

Yeah I ordered the shirt and will pick up the shorts later.

But I don't really want to commute in it daily. (And the owners of the site probably don't want me out in it on a daily basis being their representative :cool:)

Anyway brands you are happy with?? I am 188cm about 76kg

If it's for commuting (provided distances are not long) then just pick up the cheapest shorts, not bibs (easy to put on and off when going to the toilet), at your LBS, Nalsima or Y's or Amazon.co.jp - something like cheapest Nalini for 2500 yen (will last forever and plenty comfortable for a short ride).

Pearl Izumi 3D neo, about 10k or a bit less for the shorts. I have two pair.

They have some newer (probably better) stuff, but the 3D is fine.

For less money, I'd try some dhb summer kit, I think that's what TCC uses.

(not sure why you're asking for non-wiggle ideas...)

Upper wear, I prefer long sleeves. Sun protection, and I think the decent stuff also keeps you cooler than bare arms. (and you save on sun creme, and the hassle of sun creme)

There are sometimes some end of season sales (or inventory reduction) at big box names, but I'm not sure if now is the right time for that.

If it's for commuting (provided distances are not long) then just pick up the cheapest shorts, not bibs (easy to put on and off when going to the toilet), at your LBS, Nalsima or Y's or Amazon.co.jp - something like cheapest Nalini for 2500 yen (will last forever and plenty comfortable for a short ride).

Yeah, bibs are a waste of time.

If you have a bit of money, then I very much recommend Assos tops - pockets are enormous, great fit, and look good. They are stupid money, but I really love their white ss top.

Shorts are more variable. I got some Mille s.5 in white - I must have been crazy getting white shorts. Anyway, padding was really great on these, but I wish I'd bought a sensible colour. Another member of the club didn't think these mille shorts were that good. Uno.s5 I've had for 3-4 years - they're still good and my shorts of choice.

DHB - wiggles own brand cheap as chips so you can get a few sets and rotate essential in the summer.

Definitely check out the Bicycle Line stuff at Y's. It's amazing quality for the price. I second ( or 3rd) the Pearl Izumi 3D Neo - and at under 9000 yen, it's a great value / performance short or bib. Another 'sleeper' here in Japan is Shimano. Their shorts are very good and you can generally score them for under 6000 yen.

Hit up UniQlo for some of their cool-dry summer base wear. Super value and works great!

You'll probably want some UV guard arm covers (coolers). There's a brand at Y's that is cheap and works great. And / or you can use oba san arm covers - found at nearly any 100y store for, well, 100 yen!

Don't forget UV guard cream! The good stuff is really expensive here in Japan, so just have your friends or family send you some from back home. I'm partial to Banana Boat or Bull Frog - but hey, whatever you know and trust! (And doesn't give you allergic reaction under harsh, sweaty conditions)

I really like http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ lots of in house stuff that is very good and lots of other brands too, and their shipping is very reasonable.

Bibless ... great idea, I have spent already stupid time on public toilets to change into office clothes :eek:.

Don't forget UV guard cream! The good stuff is really expensive here in Japan, so just have your friends or family send you some from back home. I'm partial to Banana Boat or Bull Frog - but hey, whatever you know and trust! (And doesn't give you allergic reaction under harsh, sweaty conditions)

The active (UV-reflecting) ingredient in all sun screens is the same - titanium dioxide (which is also what most white paints are made from; toothpaste contains it too).

The main difference is in the other ingredients that are supposed to prevent the skin from drying out, etc.

Bibless ... great idea, I have spent already stupid time on public toilets to change into office clothes :eek:.

With bibs, don`t put the straps over your shoulders, just stuff them down the side of the shorts. That`s all I do...problem solved ;) Being lazy, I often just put my trousers on on top - I like the compression.

OH my GOD!!!!......

:eek:This summers fashion is going to be pastel shades....Day glow is out! Totally 2010. Socks are going to be a little shorter and shorts a tad longer.
Having a matching helmet and shorts will set you out from the crowd.
And white shoes...you are the dandy!

BIC in Shibuya had some decent PI shorts for only 5000 yen. Use your BIC card and get some points, too. Plus the Y's in the same bldg had a lot of wear in thier sale bin.

Get yourself a Brooks saddle and you'll see the need for cycling shorts go down exponentially.

Back
Top Bottom