What's new

Suggestions for 2007 Trek 1000 with cracked frame

jmbattle

Warming-Up
Jun 27, 2010
Hello,

My beloved 2007 Trek 1000 recently developed a rather nasty crack at the top of the down tube. The dealer laughed when I mentioned Trek's 'lifetime guarantee' for its frames - I expect such warranties are only good for bikes that go largely unridden. Well, I cycle approximately 30kms a day, and rely on the bike as my primary means of transportation.

The Trek 1000 is undoubtedly an entry-level road bike, but it has served me very well since moving to this city. Here are the specifications:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/1000#

And here is a keitai snap of the crack:

Fortunately, with the summer bonus on the way, I was able to justify purchasing a brand new 2010 Trek 2.1 for a reduced fee, so I've been enjoying that 'new bike' feel and generally just getting to grips with my new ride.

However the old Trek is currently sitting in my apartment looking very sorry for itself. With such a heavily cracked frame the bike is obviously unsafe to ride, however I am wondering if there are any options aside from simply throwing the entire thing away? I assume the crack cannot be welded, but how about purchasing a new frame and transplanting all of the parts over, and learning about bike mechanics along the way?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
James
x

We've Got You CoveredThe best warranty in the industry.
TREK LIMITED WARRANTY
All Trek bikes are sold exclusively through our network of Authorized Dealers who we entrust with professional assembly and service of your bicycle. Trek Bicycle Corporation warrants each new Trek frame, rigid fork, or original component part of the bicycle against defects in workmanship and materials:

The bicycle frame, except the fork and the Session model, for the lifetime of original owner
Rigid forks
All Bontrager components and accessories, except consumables such as tires and inner tubes
The Session model frame
Paint and decals
All original parts, excluding suspension forks, and rear shock absorbers
All original parts, excluding Shimano parts, suspension forks, and rear shock absorbers
All Shimano parts, suspension forks, and rear shock absorbers shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer

This warranty does not cover:
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Improper follow-up maintenance
Installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for, or compatible with, the bicycle as sold
Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components. This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective item and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty extends from the date of purchase, applies only to the original owner, and is not transferable. Trek Bicycle Corporation is not responsible for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. Claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Trek dealer. Proof of purchase is required. The subject item must be registered with Trek Bicycle Corporation, either through on-line registration or by the receipt of a warranty registration card by Trek Bicycle Corporation, before a warranty claim may be processed. Warranty duration and detail may differ by frame type and/or by country. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights may vary from place to place. This warranty does not affect the statutory rights of the consumer.

Carbon Crash Replacement Policy:
Assessing any damage done to a carbon fiber part requires more experience than is needed to inspect metal parts. If you crash or impact your bike and the force of the impact is absorbed by a carbon part, we strongly encourage you to replace the part, even if there are no indications of damage. If such a crash or impact occurs, Trek offers a crash replacement program for carbon parts, substantially reducing any replacement cost. To take advantage of this program, contact us using the information listed above and ask for the Warranty department.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I checked the warranty conditions as soon as I became aware of the crack. Having read a number of forum posts from other Trek owners with unsuccessful warranty claims, I got the impression that the company's lifetime guarantee wasn't so terribly water-tight (a notion confirmed by the reaction from my dealer).

I have been involved in a handful of minor accidents, and prangs with charries riding into my rear wheel, however I do not believe that such incidents would result in the large crack. My dealer replaced the head parts with a new unit just a few weeks ago, and he obviously did not spot the problem, so it was something of a surprise to see this large crack materialise seemingly overnight.

Cheers,
James
x

I have this fellow's email: Kazuyo_Hama x trekbikes.com

It's a little old, but it may be worth an inquiry. (remove the spaces and replace the x with the at-mark)

I think for a frame replacement you'll need your original warranty card for it to even be considered.

Trek Japan

Are you on Linked In? if so, seach for Phil McGlade, an Aussie who is Asia Director of Trek Japan

Might be worth a shot by contacting him. I can't find his email address.

K

Unless you smacked hard the rear of a cement wall (or taxi) , there is no way the down tube should be developing a fracture like that. And there would be other supporting evidence like a bent fork, wheel or serious misalignment. Take it to the main Trek shop or where you purchased it and they should be able to handle it.

TREK JAPAN KK
〒 658-0023 81 Hukaehama Higashinada Ward, Kobe City, Hyogo Prefecture
TEL :0570 -064 804
Hours: 10:00 to 17:00 (weekdays)

http://www.trekstore.jp/ (for a list of the official stores)

What store did you purchase it from?

Useful information for all - if they don't make it right.

Andy

It"s who you know....

In the bike industry its all who you ask. The guy at the shop probably just did not want to deal with the hassle of dealing with something he will not make money on. If you contact the right person they will replace your frame. Just be super nice to them and explain your situation. If they say no, try someone else. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom