What's new

sub 100.000 yen road bike suggestions. (Stories of the Noob)

eimaiosatanas

Speeding Up
Dec 17, 2011
Guys,
once again I need to draw upon the infinite wisdom of this forum's members.

I want to hear your thoughts regarding best value-for-money purchase choices in the sub 100.000yen price range. Recently a couple of friends of mine seem to have taken interest in cycling, and I couldn't suggest anything but the DEFY series from Giant.

I do feel though that there must exist hidden diamonds which I just completely ignore. What would your choice be in this price range?

Extra points go for bike that:
1) are easily obtainable in Japan,
2) you have personal experience with.

Fire away!

Something used (or "preowned"). People post "for sale" notices here.

Last year I bought a bike from Yahoo Auction. For this and his previous auctions, the seller posted a great number of photos (in additional pages to which he linked) and described faults in detail. He seemed conscientious and the bike looked good. Success.

Takizawa 'HARP' Series - you can get the alloy 910 for about 90,000 yen in Tiagra trim.

there is a shop near shinjuku station you should try- between there and shin okubo (yamanote) - Its opposite a couple of love hotels and next to a skateboard shop- prices in there a re good - good luck

Boardman are very popular in the UK right now and one of my friends rides one. He loves it. There was one on here recently being made up as a Di2 and I know of at least one other member here that rides one. You will have to wait for them to chime in for first hand accounts but from what i know there is nowt wrong there.

All the really cool guys ride Boardmans!
The Road team is a little more expensive but has a better kit level so is better value I think.

My first road bike was a Boardman Comp. It was (is) a great bike, with decent components (SRAM Apex) and a very smooth ride for an alu-frame. Surprisingly fast, too: I got several KOMs on Strava with it, some lasting for more than a whole week!

Wiggle often have them on 30% discount, so even with the price of delivery to Japan and import duty it's a fairly decent deal (admittedly the yen has got a bit weaker since I bought mine).

Boardman are very popular in the UK right now and one of my friends rides one. He loves it. There was one on here recently being made up as a Di2 and I know of at least one other member here that rides one. You will have to wait for them to chime in for first hand accounts but from what i know there is nowt wrong there.

I have a boardman and love it. Probably the best bike i have ridden yet. Would definitely recommend .

And they are tough. mine survived my recent crash without a scratch.

Back
Top Bottom