What's new

Tech Stuck lockrong

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
15C1F169-C63B-43BC-9B81-CD753293931D.jpeg
Anticlockwise ie away from me, right? I do only have an 8" wrench.

The chain is stuck between the cassette and spokes, hence why this procedure.

Anticlockwise ie away from me, right?
Right

You might (or might not) find it easier without the QR skewer installed. I usually take mine off.

If you stabilize the wheel on your shoes, stand above, lean over, and push vertically down on the two tools you can generate more force than trying to squeeze the tools together.

Failing that, with gloves on, yank on the chain while compressing each spoke a little - might work.

1630899324039.png

A pipe extension on the wrench as a cheater bar might help.

Right

You might (or might not) find it easier without the QR skewer installed. I usually take mine off.

If you stabilize the wheel on your shoes, stand above, lean over, and push vertically down on the two tools you can generate more force than trying to squeeze the tools together.

Failing that, with gloves on, yank on the chain while compressing each spoke a little - might work.

View attachment 32748well I read that using the skewer without the springs would help keep the removal thingy mounted.
But delving into the bottom of my tool box I found a 12" wrench and that did the trick. It's all dismantled now; what do you suggest I clean the cassette with? Last time many years ago we had paraffin but now don't keep that stuff. Some kind of degreaser? Warm soapy water and a stiff brush?

Wrap the chain whip as shown in the image below around one of the largest cogs on the cassette.

Stand behind the wheel, and simultaneously push down on the wrench in your right hand and the whip in your left hand.
Bike-Cassette-Removal-Tool-with-Chain-whip-and-Auxiliary-Wrench-Bicycle-Sprocket-Removal-Tools...jpg

@GrantT has the best method for maximum torque. Also KURE 55-6 sprayed copiously the day before can help.

the hammer is not typically needed unless its to smash pot plants after you take all the skin off your right hand when the wrench slips off.

Back
Top Bottom