Stu...?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Any comment?!?! ;) :p :)

P1000354.jpg

P1000353.jpg

I also have some 35mm SKS guards in black that I still have to put on.

And as long as I'm futzing with this stuff...

Really nice design, I'll swap the old pedals for new XT someday:
P1000351.jpg

Driveline is XT except for a couple places:
P1000352.jpg

Home parking:
P1000356.jpg

Nice

Downtube shifters are an interesting choice; thinking behind them?

Also, is that your house? Looks really nice!

Is it me or do you have 3 indentical bikes with different configs?

Don't get me wrong I have 4! :D

I was thinking exactly the same. They do look nice.

Also, is that a Japanese house with a BASEMENT?!

Nice

Downtube shifters are an interesting choice; thinking behind them?

Well, I wasn't sure about what to do cockpit-wise, and I'm still not sure of what you see there. (And probably won't be sure until after another few iterations of it all.) This is a first try, and I'll run it for a season or so and think about possible changes.

I rode friction downtube shifters for a couple decades before switching to pods and brifters. So I'm at least not a newbie to them (these far outperform the old ones), and I decided to stick with what I used to know...

...instead of trying barcons. Those bars are an experiment, could've stuck barcons in the ends, but if I do switch bars, shifting is one less thing to worry about in finding what's right there

Simplicity.

Post-now-that-I've-used-them-reasons: With one swipe on the right (rear), you can shift a whole slew of gears at once. Think 6-9 gears in one move. (similar for left/front) So while they may be a little inconvenient at times, they're also very convenient at other times.

Also, laziness: I can shift either front/rear with one hand. (as a lefty, I keep that hand on the bars and have been using my right to shift both front/rear)

While I have some mild doubts about the bars that I chose, I'm getting along fine with the shifters.

It isn't a race/road bike so shifting is not so crucial. It's kind of a bastard. Touring geometry for comfort/stability, but with lighter wheels, and with full mtn gearing instead of the common in-between touring/audax gearing (bottom on it is 18 gear inches). I'm not the king of any mtn, but I'll get up up any local hill and will be comfortable with that and a full day of riding. Secondarily, rack/fender mounts are all over it so it's a green for credit-card touring, too.

The wheels off the hanging bike will fit it, too, if needed--more spokes and fatter tires.

Well, they're all blue...

The trek is their version of a specialized roubiax (Pilot 5.2, no longer made). The hanging one will now be my pub/downtown bike, a truly ancient cannondale cross, the new one (initial pics) replaces that--true touring design, lighter/livelier but more comfy.

Ultra-low gearing on one, not the other.

Also, is that a Japanese house with a BASEMENT?!

Naw, it's a grow room down there...! :rolleyes:

Really tho, the design is weird. We're on a hill, entrance is on the 2nd floor, main living is downstairs.

Sweet!!

Love it for sure that is great, what a nice mix you have going there!

The downtube shifters, did the frame have the mounts?

Love the color too! :cool:

Naw, it's a grow room down there...! :rolleyes:

I would have guessed your favourite colour is blue, not green... :D

I used downtube shifters for many years, but riding as much around town as I do here in Tokyo, the convenience of shifting without taking my hands off the handle bar (and brake levers) in traffic and on side walks made brifters an easy choice when I picked my configuration.

On the other hand, down tube shifters are simple and robust. Brifters are far more vulnerable, especially in a crash. I have yet to hear of anyone having to abandon a ride because of a broken down tube shifter.

Back
Top Bottom