What's new

Strava

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone else think strava is spamming itself to death with all the lame "challenges"?

Every day about half the feed is people joining this or that, or achieving some badge or another. I wish they would allow a blocker for the challenges.

They just need to make the challenges more interesting.
"Ride 130km in one day" is neither challenging nor particularly exciting in the grand scheme of things.

More exciting ones :

Pig Baiting sponsored by GoPro
Your challenge is to antagonise police into chasing you, then get them to tail you for at least two hours. Helmet camera evidence must be submitted alongside your strava data.

Bosozoku Challenge sponsored by Maruhan.
Ride along major roads taking up an entire lane, making sure not to exceed 10kph at any time. Log three hours on strava to complete the challenge. Challenge winners are entitled to a 15% discount on satin tracksuits and silk shirts.

As for clogging up the feed, what is this with people who record every short commute and trip to the grocery store, ... and make them public? Almost as exciting as pictures of other people's meals on Facebook! If you need to record the trip to the grocery store ... for mileage logging OR challenge tracking purposes, make it private, please.

I had pretty much given up on Strava ... but I am hooked on the stupid challenges.

Sure, I would complete a 130/160km ride each month without the "challenge", but why not join the challenge and get a gold star (and a chance to buy a jersey, yippee) for doing so! And the last time I checked (2 minutes ago) I was ranked 133 out of 56519 participants in the Gran Fondo April challenge. The only time I will ever get that kind of ranking in any cycling category is on Strava, so what is not to like?

I will no doubt drop Strava challenges for other ... real ... challenges before long.

Maybe some will be happy to know that I'm not cluttering up strava with anything.

At all.

I'm not posing any kind of challenge, beer run or otherwise.

(You're welcome.)

As for clogging up the feed, what is this with people who record every short commute and trip to the grocery store, ... and make them public? Almost as exciting as pictures of other people's meals on Facebook! If you need to record the trip to the grocery store ... for mileage logging OR challenge tracking purposes, make it private, please.

I had pretty much given up on Strava ... but I am hooked on the stupid challenges.

Sure, I would complete a 130/160km ride each month without the "challenge", but why not join the challenge and get a gold star (and a chance to buy a jersey, yippee) for doing so! And the last time I checked (2 minutes ago) I was ranked 133 out of 56519 participants in the Gran Fondo April challenge. The only time I will ever get that kind of ranking in any cycling category is on Strava, so what is not to like?

I will no doubt drop Strava challenges for other ... real ... challenges before long.

Annoyingly, making commutes/short journeys private means they don't contribute to your weekly mileage, nor do they register your success in segments. As a result, I could get a KOM on one of the segments on my commute, but by making the ride private, I would lose that position. Even more annoyingly, the "commute" checkbox when uploading does sweet FA; selecting it makes not a blind bit of difference. Perhaps they forgot to finish coding it, or enabling the system created some horrendous bugs which they don't know how to fix.

the "commute" checkbox when uploading does sweet FA
Well… not in Strava at the moment, but they're looking at re-implementing it for filtering Dashboards or not spamming followers' Dashboards with your commutes.

You can comment here.

It's implemented in some projects, though. The Wheel is a good example - you can turn commutes on or off.

Well… not in Strava at the moment, but they're looking at re-implementing it for filtering Dashboards or not spamming followers' Dashboards with your commutes.

You can comment here.

It's implemented in some projects, though. The Wheel is a good example - you can turn commutes on or off.
Good knowledge, this.

Because it's there for their convenience not yours :D Everyone has different uses for it and its one of the reasons why I and many others love it, you may be going for the Grand Fondo's but I use it for gauging my efforts in training on a daily basis along the same courses and trying to beat the KOM's along those routes, likewise I don't even pay any attention to the feeds - I don't really care that a weekend warrior has gone out and logged a 160km ride with an average speed of 20km/h but if some barsteward has smashed my 10km TT with a 50km/h average speed, then they'll be murders!

At the end of the day I don't really care what others are logging, I'm not using it as a social networking tool but I can't help but feel from a lot of the comments that some people take it all WAY too seriously.

What I don't get is the term "KOM" when most "KOM"s don't have a mountain in sight. How can anyone be called "King of a god damn mountain" when there is no god damn mountain to be seen ?

It should really be "KOAPFSOR" (ask @Yamabushi what it stands for as he is KOA).

Reactions: mau
Question about Strava and its logic.

Near my home where I used to train a lot and a lot of very fast guys still do must have 1000s of very fast records to be chased....yet STRAVA seems to ignore everybody's uploads.
Does it do this for apparent safety reasons???
Edogawa cycling path rides 1.5km to the west are picked up as are 100s of Edogawa 'segments'.
Would really like to see how fast the guys are doing here now and see some records.... I chased them around in the car the other night and they did about 4 3km laps at an average pace of 45 with lots of 50kph+++ to 60kph sprints thrown in.... They do that non stop for about an hour with a sprint every lap...
And Strava has no interest in it...

Naze???

Afraid I use strava for my own logging and not as a social network too. It's just a nice way to see how many kilometres etc. I've done. Garmin does the same but Strava has a nice interface.

Back
Top Bottom