What's new

Strava

Strava doesn't make segments punters doo_O
As I've become more accustomed to Strava I've found this not to be 110% true...Which probably gave way to my initial confusion.... Strava made a lot of segments out of some of my rides in Nagano over the years.
Some of them I'm the only rider...some have new riders who have ridden after me...I guess there is a logarithm they use that figured out 'new' segments based on distance and altitude...as that what it seems to have done. I once rode my MTB up the Hakuba 47 downhill MTB\skiing road...was in no hurry as it was my first time and didn't know how far up it went. Strava made the segment and since then there seems to have only been one other rider. Most people get the ski lift up with their bikes and ride down. A few other off the beaten track segments with only me or 2 or 3 riders up and around Hakuba.

Initally when they started there were a bunch of automated segments. A lot of which are just spam, as they are half a climb but a lot of them seem to be gone now from the areas around Tokyo. You can recognize them as they are only numbers i.e. 1213 climb…

Now strava is god they don't need to that anymore.

As I've become more accustomed to Strava I've found this not to be 110% true...Which probably gave way to my initial confusion.... Strava made a lot of segments out of some of my rides in Nagano over the years.
Some of them I'm the only rider...some have new riders who have ridden after me...I guess there is a logarithm they use that figured out 'new' segments based on distance and altitude...as that what it seems to have done. I once rode my MTB up the Hakuba 47 downhill MTB\skiing road...was in no hurry as it was my first time and didn't know how far up it went. Strava made the segment and since then there seems to have only been one other rider. Most people get the ski lift up with their bikes and ride down. A few other off the beaten track segments with only me or 2 or 3 riders up and around Hakuba.

Now strava is god

Strava's seems recently to have been gaining popularity among strong riders. Some monster times being posted on Shiraishi: sub-25mins now spills over to the second page of results.

I kind of like this new(to me) flybys feature. It's pretty cool how you can play multiple rides and see when you cross paths with random people. A bit stalkery but also could lead to making a few more local friends if you see the same people out and about all the time.

It's great when someone gets lost or dropped and you see them, or yourself, flailing about trying to get back on or find the route or group again.

Eeergh! I dread to look at my effort on Shiraishi on the wedding ride. Plenty of LOLz for everyone with that one. Ha ha ha!

It's great when someone gets lost or dropped and you see them, or yourself, flailing about trying to get back on or find the route or group again.

Couldn't care less about the KOM thing but...

"You navigate through the 520's screens using buttons; it doesn't appear to be a touchscreen device."

Who wants to buy my 510?!?!?

*edit

Just read some more over at rainmaker, bigger screen but overall much smaller package than the 510. Where do I pre-order??

And I'm serious who want to buy my 510 dirt cheap ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TCC
"You navigate through the 520's screens using buttons; it doesn't appear to be a touchscreen device."

Who wants to buy my 510?!?!?

*edit

Just read some more over at rainmaker, bigger screen but overall much smaller package than the 510. Where do I pre-order??

And I'm serious who want to buy my 510 dirt cheap ;)

If that is true, I am going to buy one too. Touch screen on a bike computer is STUPID. I pretty much have to stop myself from ripping my 810 off and lobbing it on the floor at least once a ride when the touch screen left and right swipe doesn't work.

Hang on. I mean, the touch screen is amazing. Who wants to buy my 810?

I for one lament the transfer of API of Strava from Google Maps to OpenStreetMap. There is no StreetView integration, so another step is required to see (or in the case of the fabled standpipe on @Deej's Ohme Temple Loop, fail to see 〜) local landmarks. And OSM is a user-created cluftersuck so (well-meant) inaccuracies abound.

But I also dislike the new Google Maps. I might be getting too old for all this single-stream full-screen stuff.

If you use one of the Chrome extensions you can choose which maps are the default and you can switch as you please.

Back
Top Bottom