What's new

STRAVA

OK, so i'm doing the same thing as Pete and giving strava a more serious try. don't think it will be my main tool because usually i don't spend much time looking at my post ride results. usually i only check my heart rate to make sure there aren't any weird patterns showing up and that's it. Tracking PBs or times on particular routes just isn't part what i want to do with my bike.

However, looking through the segment rankings I found some spots where i was ranked above people i knew, sometimes by a big percentage, on climbs where i know i walked big chunks. i thought that was kind of funny.

Just about to go and (slowly) ride and record the course near here, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way of knowing which end is the start. Or on flat (some?) courses, it doesn't matter which way you run it?

:eek:

Just about to go and (slowly) ride and record the course near here, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way of knowing which end is the start. Or on flat (some?) courses, it doesn't matter which way you run it?

:eek:

Hey, you can't hedge with that "slowly ride" business! You're on STRAVA now! Every ride is a balls out race for blood and glory!! :eek:

If you scroll along the segment you can see on the corresponding map where you are and how fast you were going at that point etc.

However, looking through the segment rankings I found some spots where i was ranked above people i knew, sometimes by a big percentage, on climbs where i know i walked big chunks. i thought that was kind of funny.

I guess there is one other thing you should know about Strava. If it isn't on there it didn't happen!:D

I'm just taking the piss mate. Now go get out there and tear it up! :D

I know..but still have to have an excuse...

Just got back... did a small 25km loop that covered 2 Strava sprint? sections.
Are you supposed to turn off your garmin (ie start it at the start of the Strava sections) Or just keep riding and let Strava work it out?
I just kept riding through the start and end zones not knowing exactly where they were.
Anyway, just checking things out...will give me something to do close to home over the next few years... Can't wait for a big winter North wind to help me with the one on the other side of the river... :D Was a strongish headwind today.

Hey, you can't hedge with that "slowly ride" business! You're on STRAVA now! Every ride is a balls out race for blood and glory!! :eek:

Well the irony is that some TCC folks (including myself :eek:) are into smack talk - and it didn't need STRAVA for that. STRAVA just grounds all that "hero efforts" and "claimed watts", as you have to deliver what you claim. Maybe it's a tool to get people more humble. But psychologically I well understand that people don't like that transparency.

Just uploaded about 150 of my old files... surprised at a lot of them... Fat old me even has a KOM #1... (only a short 1km sprint) but in 2nd place is my S class mate... see Peter Reynolds and Mike Sims near me on a lot of the Edo river ones.

Well the irony is that some TCC folks (including myself :eek:) are into smack talk - and it didn't need STRAVA for that. STRAVA just grounds all that "hero efforts" and "claimed watts", as you have to deliver what you claim. Maybe it's a tool to get people more humble. But psychologically I well understand that people don't like that transparency.

I'm all for transparency as I'm not pretending to be something I'm not and am only looking to improve my own performance. It's all the juvenile chest beating and posturing that is laughable, IMHO! No one that's smack talking here on TCC is going to be riding in any of the grand tours with the pro peloton anytime soon so simmer down. :p

I guess there is one other thing you should know about Strava. If it isn't on there it didn't happen!:D

Here's one where i walked a good bit of the climb.
Tsuru Pass (North Approach)

you can't see where i got off my bike to walk but you can see where i stopped for a few minutes to flip my rear wheel right after the downhill section at the start. I this case, my time is slower than all the people on the list that i recognized.

Question for Premium Strava members.... What are you looking for that made you upgrade? I don't think it is all that cheap, so just curious here.

Question for Premium Strava members.... What are you looking for that made you upgrade? I don't think it is all that cheap, so just curious here.

To get a detailed Wattage Analysis (if you don't have a watt meter then it only makes sense with Garmin Barometric Devices and for Mountain Rides) to decide if I want to invest someday into a real watt meter.

It's all the juvenile chest beating and posturing that is laughable, IMHO!

The "chest beating and posturing" here on TCC is fun, only if its not aligned with the "real world" it's laughable. :p

No one that's smack talking here on TCC is going to be riding in any of the grand tours with the pro peloton anytime soon so simmer down. :p

Sure, there is a bucket for everybody. But it's fair to know into which one ones belong, a Power Meter and/or STRAVA can tell you more ...

power-to-weight-cycling-chart.jpg

It would be nice if STRAVA could group the Leaderboards into those groups (not just age-groups, which is also a Pro-only feature).

I'm all for transparency as I'm not pretending to be something I'm not and am only looking to improve my own performance. It's all the juvenile chest beating and posturing that is laughable, IMHO! No one that's smack talking here on TCC is going to be riding in any of the grand tours with the pro peloton anytime soon so simmer down. :p

We will ignore Lee Rogers who is a lurker here then ;)

I've just started using this, as a weight loss forum I'm on does challenges, this month it's "La Vuelta Challenge 2012" we make up teams of 9 members and the goal is for each team to collectively ride at least the distance that is ridden on the race that day. I know most of you could easily ride the whole distance yourselves, but remember this is a forum for fat bastards like myself who are trying to become just plain old bastards :D

They ask that if you can use some sort of GPS thing to log your mileage and climbing as they will give awards (bragging rights only) for the most miles and the climbing.

I downloaded the Strava app for my iPhone as MapMyRide has become more and more flaky.

Today I did my deliveries and I had to laugh, on one delivery I passed through a "segment" and found out that I was 38th out of 54, but I bet I was the fastest through that segment towing a trailer full of beer :D

So far it looks like a very good app to log my miles etc, but I with they had a "Motivation Level" setting, kind of like those GPS units that let you choose various voices, male/female, or one with an English accent or....? :rolleyes:

For motivation, you could have a HTFU to a Leave Me Alone level.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom