Strava Elevation Discrepancy

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Yesterday I went to ride Yabitsu as well as take some pictures and look around a bit.
I took two buddies with me that have never been and we had a great ride.
This morning, I looked on strava and was very surprised at the varying elevations of our ride.

The top graph is from my Edge 800.
The second is from an Edge 810.
The third is from a Forerunner 205.

I see my profile is the most smooth and IMO the most accurate.
But what is causing this kind of discrepancy. There is 1100 meters difference on the same ride!

Attachments

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
I just looked at an older Strava route I have done of Yabitsu and my elevation is more in line with the other two guys.
I suppose it is a setup thing?

bloaker

Maximum Pace
Nov 14, 2011
Miura, Japan
Strava has an option to "Correct Elevation" so I did.
Now the elevation jumped from 1,188 to 2,304.
I think the real number might be somewhere in between.

Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
The 810 one looks like barometric based... Not too much jitter. The other looks like maybe GPS based with all the jitter. Maybe a configuration like you speculated where the GPS altitude data can be ignored.

Maybe looking at the users historical data will reveal what's normal for the devices.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Setagaya
I've read that Strava takes altitude measurements made using a barometer (like on some Garmin devices) as is, but ignores altitude measurements made by devices without a barometer (like an iPhone or GPS logger) and calculates elevation itself. Elevation according to Strava always comes out at about twice that when using a barometer.