What's new

Storms

chazzer

Speeding Up
Nov 23, 2006
Well I declare last night as the mother of all storms. Continuous flash and mighty bang from 8 pm until well after midnight here in Yoyogi Uehara. The storm was very close on two occasions or maybe it was two storm centres passing over - I`m not sure.

Whatever - the lightning was awesome and the whole house vibrating with the power of the thunder. Pretty humbling....mother nature can sure put on a good show ! Nearly as good as the Olympic opening !!

I have never experienced a storm of such length and intensity.

chazzer

Yeah, that was a big one, alright. Both my wife and I commented on how the rumblings had a different quality to them than usual -- somehow deeper and more physical, almost as if our building itself was groaning or being scraped by some giant object. Very cool.

In the Machida boonies we have had storms like that every night for over a week now. My danchi block has been struck by lightening 3 times already. Before bed I close all windows, turn off all computers, unplug router and put a torch by my bed. I know there will be an electrical storm during the night, and if I don't take those precautions I will have yet another sleepless night.

The irony is that a friend of mine went on holiday on the 18th and asked me to water his garden. I haven't had to do it - even once!

I have never known weather like this in Japan before. Of course in the UK it would be par for the course ...

Last night . . .

. . . I walked the 1km to swim class when the rain began to fall heavily around 20:00. I returned home 2 hours later and every road was carpeted with a layer of water 1cm thick like icing on a cake. Small rivers were running down the sides of every road. I could have swum home :)

I love the thunder and lightning. There is something primal about it and last nights show was one of the best. On comparison with the storms I experienced in Africa.

However, my commiserations to anyone who suffered flooding or storm damage.

Philip

A little WHINGE...

...regarding the rain;
I have had to commute every day in the past week (except Wed.), and was forced to ride in the rain every single time! Incidentally, the only day it didn't rain was... Wednesday!:mad:
Thereby, also having to wear the rain-cape (to keep stuff in the back-pockets dry), I ended up being saturated in my own perspiration - wetter than I would've been due to the rain itself.
And one last whine: My once sparklingly brilliant yellow & grey "Pro3 race" tyres are now a filthy shade of brake-pad-powder sh*t!
So much for looking "cool", riding in the rain - felt like a "drowned-rat idiot".:eek:uch:
Oh, the joys of being a cyclist.
T

My job called yesterday and told me they were not having classes today due to the typhoon. ( I had the day scheduled off anyway.) And that Friday's classes would be held on Monday. This meant that I don't have to go on Monday either as my classes have been canceled to make way for Friday's classes.
Now, the real funny part is, it didn't rain at the school on Friday so they didn't need to cancel in the 1st place.
My 6 weeks vacation has been extended one more day.

I went riding on Friday, running today, riding tomorrow and Monday.

I've dodged the rain real well.

My new training regime will be to go running if it's raining, drinking beer if there is lightning.

I wonder how Thomas is going with his 61km per day commute at the moment?

On comparison with the storms I experienced in Africa.

Philip

Gotta agree with you there. A couple of nights ago it took me right back to the Zaire River in 1984 ~ my first evening paddling alone into oblivion. The 360 degree panorama of electrical storms was the most mind-blowing thing I have ever seen.

Who would have believed that I would be seeing the same site from my own balcony in a Machida danchi ...

storms...

... it took me right back to the Zaire River in 1984...
In 1984, I was 12 years old in Canberra, Australia. The biggest storm I saw that year was my mother going ballistic at Dad after he tried driving his Mini (Morris) minor back from the pub on a Sunday afternoon when he hadn't done so well on the horse-races.
There was lightning & thunder, and echoes of words that a twelve-year-old should not be privy to - And Mum still claims that it "was father who first taught me the 'C'-word"....

. . . I walked the 1km to swim class when the rain began to fall heavily around 20:00. I returned home 2 hours later and every road was carpeted with a layer of water 1cm thick like icing on a cake. Small rivers were running down the sides of every road. I could have swum home :)

I love the thunder and lightning. There is something primal about it and last nights show was one of the best. On comparison with the storms I experienced in Africa.

However, my commiserations to anyone who suffered flooding or storm damage.

Philip

By the time I got home it looked liked I had taken a dip in my clothes.

I wonder how Thomas is going with his 61km per day commute at the moment?

I commuted everyday last week, but not to Higashi-Matsuyama. I figured that Arakawa in pouring rain isn't really worth it (will resume the Saitama runs in October). I did my Shin-Kawasaki runs down R1 however. Also, I had to ride home from Shinjuku in the heavy thunderstorm last Friday, now that was truly electrifying. :warau:

I was dancing Argentine Tango (my other obsession) in Tokyo on Friday night and the thunder and lightning were fantastic.

I can't wait for the weather to stabilize though.

Back
Top Bottom