What's new

Tech Stoppers.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
I was out on my Ridley on Tuesday for a quick spin around Tama and today did the same ride on my Boardman. Both bikes have the same Sram Red 10 speed set up. I used the same wheels ( DA 24s)
I found that while the Ridley stops on a fathing ( for young people, thats good) the Boardman won"t pull up on a half crown (thats bad) The only difference being the pads. Ridley has Swiss stop in a dark green (you want these!) The Boardman has Swiss stop black pads...(you maybe don't want these)

I was out on my Ridley on Tuesday for a quick spin around Tama and today did the same ride on my Boardman. Both bikes have the same Sram Red 10 speed set up. I used the same wheels ( DA 24s)
I found that while the Ridley stops on a fathing ( for young people, thats good) the Boardman won"t pull up on a half crown (thats bad) The only difference being the pads. Ridley has Swiss stop in a dark green (you want these!) The Boardman has Swiss stop black pads...(you maybe don't want these)
We talking on Al rims or carbon?

Sorry... Its the green ones that are crap on DA 24 ali rims not the black ones.
Must be that kaki that landed on my head while riding...

Lifeline blue pads are doing a bang up job on my carbon rims, they cost next to nothing to boot.

(On alu C24's rims) I tried the Swiss Stop green pads out instead of the latest normal Shimano ult/DA pads and found them to be softer. They seemed to be more effective for stopping at slower speeds and slightly more instant braking in the wet. However on long mountain descents at 45Km/h+ they just didn't have that raw braking power you get with Shimano pads. I reasoned the Shimano pads are better for cycling the hills round here and took the Green's back to Blighty, last time I was there, for popping onto the old bike I still have in the shed - more riding in rain and less long descents mean they make more sense in the UK

(on Carbon rims) As some of you know I've just got myself some Far Sport 25x50 wheels. I read a lot of the Weight Weenie posts on the right pads to use on them (Swiss Yellow vs Black vs Reynolds Old Blue vs new blue vs FS Blue). Decided to ignore them all and put some Shimano Carbon Rim pads on for riding around town over the winter. Very impressed with them so far (but not used in the rain so far and only at moderate speeds) will swap them around with the FS ones that came with the wheels and report back later

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom