What's new

Stolen Pinarello FP3- Please be on the lookout

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all

I got some bad news yesterday from a friend who lives in Tokyo. He had his Pinarello FP3 stolen from one of the bicycle parking garages yesterday. I know, he shouldn't have left it there but to cut a long story short, he had no time to ride home and get his everyday bike. As he put it ........

"I parked it in the paid parking lot downstairs from the building, had security ojisans there, cameras. Chained the tires and frame together. 10 min after i left, it was gone"

I know there is only a very small chance of it being found but if everyone could be on the lookout for the bike, it would be greatly appreciated.

The bike is a Pinarello FP3 with serial # 9AE5300890611. He isn't positve about the year but thinks it is 2010. It was taken from the Miyashita Koen parking lot in Shibuya. The bike had Campy shamal wheels and full campy super record. I hope the scum that stole it is caught soon.

Below are a couple of photos of the bike

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
shit, that sucks. How about a sting operation? I know they couldn't outrun you.

As someone who works with security ojisans and surveillance cameras: for the most part the former are a waste of hydrocarbon, and most cctv systems are found (after the horse has bolted) to not be recording properly.

Nasty. Will keep an eye out for the bike in my 'hood.

On a security-related note, I'm thinking of buying a flock of geese to protect my commuter bike. I knew someone who kept them as guard animals in the UK and they were absolutely fantastic. I think three would be enough: one in each bottle cage, and another on the handlebars to serve as a horn and general pedestrian menacer.

@Andy in Tokyo my mate used to keep geese when we were kids. Vicious little buggers they are. You need only have one on your handlebars due to their long necks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405942507.105316.jpg
She is back. The police handed her back to my mate today so he went out for a quick spin on her. He was very very lucky to get her back. It makes me wince when I see even my riding friends leave their pride and joy outside the conbini while they pop in to the loo or get a snack. I know this is Japan but there are still some scum on the streets.

So they had swapped out the seat and bar tape. How did the cops get on to the case of this stolen bike? And good on them for doing so.

They hadn't swapped either the bar tape or the saddle. My mate put new bar tape on and the thief only removed the saddle cover (kinda like a shower cap) to reveal the original saddle.
My mate spotted it on yahoo auctions. The original thief sold it to a bike shop. It was the bike shop that listed it on yahoo auctions.

Nah, I don't think so. I think they provided evidence that led the police to the thief so I'm guessing the thief gave his real ID and thought the bike would never be found by the original owner. To be honest I don't know which shop it was.

Glad its back - at least the thief set the saddle correct - horizontal to floor for your friend

FYI - legitimate bike shops are required to have a special reselling permit. As part of that, they also must collect the seller's ID and then report to the police along with the registration ID. The actual determination of whether it's stolen or not is up to the Police check cause the shop owner has no way to cross reference the ID tag. This is a serious flaw in the registration system. It would be stupidly simple for them to implement a 'go/no-go' return on any ID via web entry based on several criteria. But, hey, if you see how they run this program, you'd just shake your head and wonder why to begin with. Dank office in Akihabara, all communication by Fax, months to get the data inputted to their 'system', which is probably an ancient Hitachi punch-card based 'sorter' at best. Oh yeah, about the reselling permit? You need to show proof of recycling contract before you can get that. Guess who manages THOSE businesses??? In spite of that - the system does work now and then. Great you got your bike back! Try to get access to thief and demand formal apology and 'compensation'. Force the Police on this issue - they are required to give you that access.

There is some useful information spread throughout the comments in this thread. If anyone would like to consolidate it all into a single Wiki article, that would surely be helpful for anybody unlucky enough to find themselves in the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom