What's new

Help Stolen Bicycle!

Devin

Cruising
Oct 29, 2013
Does anyone have any suggestions for finding stolen bikes? My Planet X cyclocross bike was stolen on Tuesday. I have reported it with the police and I tried to go around my area to some bike shops or bike parking areas however it's difficult because I don't speak Japanese.

It's quite unique so I don't think it will be hard to find, I don't think there are many Planet X bikes in Japan....

It was just my birthday on Friday, so quite a terrible birthday with my bike being stolen!

FullSizeRender.jpg

That sucks!
Next time dont leave it outside. A 50cm long bolt cutters (available at all good hardwear stores)will go through that lock and chain in seconds.

That sucks!
Next time dont leave it outside. A 50cm long bolt cutters (available at all good hardwear stores)will go through that lock and chain in seconds.

I know stupid mistake...but now trying to find ways to track it down and maybe get it back! Then I can be smarter about storage for it....I do see expensive bikes out and around in the city center area. around Tenjin (Fukuoka)

At the time it wasn't locked to anything so they could just pick up the whole thing and later work on the U Lock...

I should have mentioned I am not in Tokyo, I am living in Fukuoka.

I did see that WIKI page and i registered my bike with a few of those links.

Hope the Wiki helps. In my case the police even has camera footage of the perps, but can't find them. Stuff didn't turn up on eBay/yahoo either, but it helps to keep looking. Too bad, that such crimes are spreading in Japan.

Sad to hear that this has happened. Let's all keep an eye out for this bike.

Always hate to see this, as noted, though, NEVER leave a good bike outside at night, much less, all night anywhere. What you have done already is about as much as you can do.

Realistically, though, the chances of you getting the bike back are VERY slim. I have a policeman acquaintance who mentioned that there is a small chance of recovery if a bike was simply taken by opportunity (usually unlocked, near a station, and someone just swiped it in order to go from point A to point B, and then abandoned it), or if it was recovered as part theft ring bust, where the bike is found before it has been moved on--but even then, in either case, your chances of ever seeing it again are next to none--and both these situations are numbered in days, not weeks. Recovery beyond that is almost unheard of, though vigilance sometimes snags a Yahoo or similar sale attempt. Best of luck in any regard.

Last edited:
Ring busts: I only heard of one of those a couple of years back, where the policy had some kind of hotline, so you could inquire directly if your bike was amongst the stolen ones. Although I'm sure there must be more than that this information is hardly circulated. Let's agree to post it at TCC

I have been searching Yahoo Auction and Rakuten to see if it shows up. I have alerts set up, and I am monitoring local websites, FukuokaNow

I think i forgot to mention that I am not in Tokyo, I live in Fukuoka! But I am sure the bike could turn up anywhere.

Sorry bout your loss mate.I feel your pain.Pic above taken at Futamigaura right?Had you registered it? Not that it matters but wonder if the reg sticker can be completely sanded over without leaving a mark. Ive had my apartment burgled here in Fukuoka and the Jcops were just useless.20 plus cops came,caused a ruckus in the neighbourhood,told me it must be the Chinese, theyd get back to me with results and well I never heard from them again. Anyway,have a similar bike, disks and all though mines a Kona Cyclocross..Ill sure keep an eye out for your bike on my wanderings.Best of luck.

Pic above taken at Futamigaura right?
I don't know the name of the place, but its out west at Itoshima? It wasn't registered, and yeah I feel it doesn't matter. It's just a sticker right? I have heard that some people get their bikes back but it could be months. However, I feel with an expensive bike....it probably won't come back. Mine is a 59CM frame so it won't be hard to miss haha. I saw a KONA bike in tenjin yesterday!

Yes,Futamigaura on the way to Itoshima.Bike registration is really the first line of defence against theft.Doesnt stop it but the cops will be a little more cooperative if they have details.And again its free so Ive always registered mine.Been stopped once on my "party"bike by an unmarked squad car for having a very faint light and speeding at night,and while talking to them I saw the cops looking to see if it had a sticker for reg.Can you ask your building owners if they have a Surv camera?Or surv for the street you live on.Worth a shot.Anyways I wasn't in Tenjin yesterday.Yeh got a 59 cm too.

Sorry to hear that it was stolen, but most bikes like this end up on a boat to China or SEA.

Sorry to hear that it was stolen, but most bikes like this end up on a boat to China or SEA.

LOL, that sounds a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit edging on stereotyping there, old chap. Got any stats to back this comment up?

LOL, that sounds a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit edging on stereotyping there, old chap. Got any stats to back this comment up?
I live around Sjuku so I'll keep my eye open. BTW - there are a few SE Asian gangs that hit up higher end bikes and then send them to Vietnam, Thailand, Spore, etc ... so keep your guard up. On the otherhand - it may show up. My wife's Trek crossbike 'came back' after about 6 weeks - it was dumped in Ikebukuro. If you have the Police sticker on it - really helps.

If you need a loaner , let me know. Depending your size I may be able to help you.

That single line of text is the only reference to this and is backed up by no data or references.

Message to all: Don't let your bike out of your sight. Road bike theft is alive and well in Japan. My mate had his road bike stolen today. It was locked up outside a train station. Organized crime does exist here! Be warned and stay vigilant. It really saddens me me to hear of bikes being snatched.

Back
Top Bottom