What's new

stinky helmet

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
and it's clearly going to get worse.

aside of simply buying a new one, what are my options? Bell Venture low end model. seems equipped with two at most velcro removeable pads, which must be washable. the other pads are secured to the adjustable cradle.

can it simply be slung in the washing machine at low temperature?

I asked the same question last summer, look for the thread. Basically in summer, after each ride, don't take the helmet off when you take your shower. ;)

We have all had this problem.

I had my foreskin surgically removed at the age of 11 to deal with the issue. Sorted it right out, after a period of recovery. Horrific at such a young age, but saw me right from that point on... (eh, girls!!:cool:)

For those later on in life, I would recommend pulling out your pads and washing them in one of those funky washing bag things your Japanese wife complains at you for not using.

I've also been washing my gloves every couple few rides--usually just into the washer with shorts/jersey/etc, tho sometimes in a mesh bag.

HUH???? :eek:

I wash my gloves after every ride~!

Please remember that I'm a lightweight --> lower mileage than everyone here, and especially these days, only riding early, up to about 8 a.m. or so. Definitely not the sweaty time of day. Or at least not the sweatiest.

Also, I've got a stack of 'em, and some gloves stink more than others. Maybe the stink factor should be a part of glove/helmet reviews.

Gloves should be washed more often than your underwear...because you don't wear underwear when you ride!!! :confused:

My helmet gets a rinse and sometimes a soak in a large bucket with shampoo overnight. Dry it in sunlight to kill the bacteria that likes to live in that spongy stuff.

I wouldn't put your helmet underside in direct sunlight. The UV will rapidly detriorate the foam. Washing with a mild detergent and water should be fine. Then let it dry. I use Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Soap as pretty much my 'go to' for everything (kit included). Result is a mild , hypoallergenic wash with antiseptic properties. You can also spray a little distilled vinegar on it, too, if you want.

Please remember that I'm a lightweight --> lower mileage than everyone here, and especially these days, only riding early, up to about 8 a.m. or so. Definitely not the sweaty time of day. Or at least not the sweatiest.

Also, I've got a stack of 'em, and some gloves stink more than others. Maybe the stink factor should be a part of glove/helmet reviews.

Hmmm any clothing I wear once gets washed, what with the humidity in this country you are asking for trouble leaving anything sweaty out to fester.

Wash the helmet after every ride. In the shower at home. Under a hose pipe at work.

I took all the pads out of my helmet. I really like it (although you can't do it with some models). However you get a bit more sweat in the eyes which reminds me - never wear suncream above eye level....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.co/time

never wear suncream above eye level....

I didn't wear sun screen on my forehead during Deej's Ome Temple Loop and returned with red sunburn areas the shape of my helmet front ventilation slots. You can't win either way!

Back
Top Bottom