What's new

Still skipping gears....

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hey,

I took my bike in for a tune up at Y's road and it seemed fine but after a ride I noticed the drivetrain is a little loud and I am skipping a gear, to be more accurate - when I shift at a certain gear it will not complete this particular shift and I have to give the lever another half tap.

All other gears work fine, so based on the little that I know it seems to me that the sound from the drivetrain and the issue with that one gear means that it's still a little off and a few twists of the shifter cable could fix this.

Can anyone suggest a top knotch mechanic? Or do you all just do your own service?

Thanks.

own service here. Your talking about the rear cogs? What drive train are you running?

For me, this has always turned out to be a sign of a bent derailleur hanger.

But it might be something else.

An easy thing to check as well may be a stiff link in the chain or a bent tooth on you cassette. Could be the spacing on your cassette is off (campagnolo uses different size spacers throughout the cassette and it could happen if the cassette is removed for servicing that it was installed incorrectly) or your drivetrain is just plain worn. The rule of thumb is to change your chain often to prolong the life of your cassette and chain rings. I would start by bringing it back to the shop and explaining the problem. You payed for a service and they are liable to make it run correctly and if not they should inform you of what you need to purchase to make it work. I have had many customers do a test ride after paying and come back with my favorite beverage if it was a job well done. Take care of your mechanic and they will take care of you.

Sorry of the late reply here,

I am running a 2011 105 group and I will look for any damage but I can't see anything at this point, but I did bring my bike from Vancouver to here in a Serfas bike case - I put it back together myself (including putting the derailer back on) so this was my original thought as to why there was an issue with the shifting.

I took it to these guys at Y's and paid them to fix it... Are there not any high end shops with top notch mechanics in my area (Hino or the surrounding area)?

I'm not really set up to work on my bike, nor am I confident as I have not done it before.

An easy thing to check as well may be a stiff link in the chain or a bent tooth on you cassette. Could be the spacing on your cassette is off (campagnolo uses different size spacers throughout the cassette and it could happen if the cassette is removed for servicing that it was installed incorrectly) or your drivetrain is just plain worn. The rule of thumb is to change your chain often to prolong the life of your cassette and chain rings. I would start by bringing it back to the shop and explaining the problem. You payed for a service and they are liable to make it run correctly and if not they should inform you of what you need to purchase to make it work. I have had many customers do a test ride after paying and come back with my favorite beverage if it was a job well done. Take care of your mechanic and they will take care of you.

I get what your saying and I was on a staff parking - staff entrance - do it yourself basis with my LBS in Vancouver, but I don't speak Japanese well and so it's hard to do that with these big Japanese shops.

Which gear does it not shift easily into? From the smallest sprocket into the 2nd smallest? (hardest to 2nd hardest)

Dave

Hmm I'd have to go for another ride or try to see if I can replicate it at home

A quick update,

I got a new chain and all seems to be running smooth now, thanks for your replies and sorry for the late replies (just finished final exams)

Back
Top Bottom