What's new

Sticky summer heat

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
Riding on sunny summer days, sun beam behind your neck would be one of your most annoying elements for us bikers. But unfortunately I have no idea to prevent it so far. :eek:uch: So, I would like to know how do you guys manage to overcome. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Massa

Filling bottles with plain water and pouring it over my head from time to time works like magic - feel good and fresh again! :angel:

Buff recommendation

Massa - have you tried a UV Buff?

Buffs are great for all activities in all seasons. Incredibly versatile.

--Mike--

How_2_Wear_a_Buff.jpg

Beat the heat, beat the school kids, beat the traffic...

Ride really early. Got back about 06:20 this a.m. after about 30km/75min.

I like riding during the evening, not a morning person at all.
Provided enough lighting on your bike, it can a good time to train. I use to work night shift and it was amazing to ride 30 km to work at 11pm and ride back the next morning just before the sun gets too hot.

beat the school kids...

That's a job better left to their parents, teachers and friends. Beating children is not big and not clever, and will likely increase the heat rather than reducing it.

Of course, if the school kids in question are known to ride their bicycles on the wrong side of the carriageway with no lights in the dark while texting, holding an umbrella and smoking, then what jury would convict?

Thank you all.
Suggestions and comments are very purswasive. :) Let me try some of those, but I'm wondering if there are any cap with brim which is skinny and preferably fit to use under your helmet with this brim side behind to get your neck enough shadow from the sun?

Massa

I second this. When I get my act together I leave home at 3am, and get home several hours later after seeing almost nobody but dog walkers and drunks.

Problem is, I can only get my act together once a week these days.

Hi tech option

I have field tested a high tech option many times in Japan. Refer to avatar. Fortunately it is available in most good 100yen shops, tucks in nicely to collar of cycle shirt and protects and cools with addition of water all of head and neck.

When I am not cycling I work in a yakitoriya.

That's a job better left to their parents, teachers and friends. Beating children is not big and not clever, and will likely increase the heat rather than reducing it.

Of course, if the school kids in question are known to ride their bicycles on the wrong side of the carriageway with no lights in the dark while texting, holding an umbrella and smoking, then what jury would convict?

Uh, maybe you can help, but experientially speaking, wtf is the right/wrong side of the carriageway here???????

Sometimes, a phaser set on "eliminate" would help immensely.

Problem is nowadays their parents nor teachers tend to be far from their original jobs. In the worst cases, the manners of kids in question are copy of their parents.

UV arm covers????

Do any of you use them?
Which ones?
What's the difference between expensive ones in cycling shops compared to other shops?

I went to have a look today and at 3000 yen plus.... 5000 plus for 'nice' ones... I wasn't convinced.

I'm starting to get laughed at at work with my white Michael Jackson hands with dark finger tips and dark forearms that break into white on the biceps...

Or is a liberal coating of sunscreen sufficient?

After BBQing my arms and legs last year (needed hospital treatment!), I now use factor 50 sunscreen from REI. Goes on white, rub it in, goes clear.

I did a lot of research, and the REI stuff seems the best.

The Japanese stuff works out more expensive than Gold, and I never found it strong enough.

I did try some UV leg coverings, but they kept sliding down, and it looked silly when I tried to hitch them up.

I third this. I can usually add another 10k-20k onto a 2-3 hr morning ride if I leave early enough. It's amazing how much slower you go when you have to deal with traffic, trains, peds and landsharks!:bike3:

Also, riding in the heat and humidity forces your body to spend valuable energy to cool yourself down instead of using that same energy to push your peddles forward.

When I do ride in the afternoon I cake on the sunscreen and wear a jersey (maker: Santini) that has a high collar and helps cover the gap to my hairline in the back.

Back
Top Bottom