Help Sticky freehub

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Hi everyone,

Warning -- the following is boring and tedious. But I'm hoping you tech mavens will love this and share your wisdom to end my woes.

OK, Here's my problem: When I try to coast with the 2007 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels I recently bought via this site and am using with a newly built-up bike with a Campy drivetrain, the freehub locks up intermittently, causing the chain to go slack and dangle into the spokes. Basically, the bike wants to go fixie on me. When it happened while I was cruising in heavy traffic, it scared the bejesus out of me. ( I say "intermittently" locks up because when I take the freehub body off and re-lube everything, it will spin OK for a while, but then revert to madness after 5-10 minutes, usually while freewheeling down a hill.)

I've cleaned and installed Mavic freehub bodies plenty of times, and know all about the proper lubes, spacers, etc. And the bearings seem to be fine. So I'm really scratching my head here. It *seems* like a spacer issue.

So I'm wondering if it is this: The brand-new Campy-compatible Mavic freehub body I'm using came with the usual spacer that sits between the body and cassette spindle. But it also came with a "shoulder washer" and another little washer (pictured below).

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm3.staticflickr.com%2F2862%2F9273917673_7a64ab7273_o.jpg&hash=6439bc7dfdda4f3ee35454714c8bbedc

I've never needed these doodads before. Apparently, these are to ensure compatibility with older wheels. But the verbiage on the Mavic tech site is vague to me.

"A shouldered washer is included in the free wheel kits to ensure the compatibility of these new free wheels with wheels marketed prior to 2013. It must be used instead of the flat spacer M40066 to install these new free wheels on the old wheels, whose axle (QRM hub) or axle end screw (QRM+ or QRMSL hubs) have a diameter of 8 mm."

If it stopped at the comma, it would be clear enough. But all the stuff after the comma just confuses me.

I guess my question is this: Do I need that dang shoulder washer? Or am I missing something really obvious here?

Any insights from my fellow TCCers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, y'all!

Deej

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Let me try and parse that...

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/products/2_4.pdf

To me, this says bin the flat spacer and use the shouldered thingy if you bearing is 8 mm (which seems likely). Does it fit if you try it?
Cheers, Mike. Yeah, that's how I read it, too. I'm embarrassed to say it, but I haven't tried it yet. I've been stubbornly adhering to precedent. I'm at the office now (Saturday night late shift!), so I can't check at the moment. But after getting home, I'll have a shower, crack open a beer and have a look.

Thanks taking the time with that!

Deej

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Right, so I stumbled through my front door at 2:30 a.m., had my shower, enjoyed a Guinness then set about fiddling with my rear wheel as my family slept.

Oddly, the shoulder washer (or "shouldered" washer, as Mavic calls it) does not fit in the freehub body it was mailed with. The diameter is too wide to slot into the axle hole. Huh? So I'm stumped.

The good news is that ever since cleaning and re-lubing the freehub yesterday, it hasn't jammed up while testing it in the neighborhood. But given that the problem has always suddenly occurred mid-ride after a few minutes of deceptively smooth spinning, I'm loath to believe that the problem is solved.

Maybe the gods of commerce are telling me it's time to buy some new wheels. Or even used ones that actually work. Anyone looking to upgrade? :)

Deej

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
OK, everyone can breathe out now, I think I solved the problem!

What's that? Nobody gives a flying Boasson Hagen about my sticky freehub? Yeah, I know, this has been a snoozer of a thread for those of you who aren't me, but I assure you that the issues at play here have made for a riveting drama at chez Deej.

So Half-Fast Mike was correct: I ditched the washer and inserted the shoulder washer instead. When I tried it last night, post-Guinness and in a state of mild sleep deprivation, the washer wouldn't fit into the axle hole. I tried it again this evening and same thing -- no go. Then I spritzed it with lube spray, tried again and the clouds parted and the angels sang, and I sat sweaty and triumphant in my genkan, wearing only underwear and a look of exultation, for the washer slotted neatly into place.

I haven't road-tested the wheel yet, but I suspect there will be no more jammed freehubs. *knock on wood*

Cheers, Mike!

Deej

saibot

Maximum Pace
May 29, 2012
Taito
Looks like you got it sorted then.
I had the same problem occur on a descent down towards chichibu earlier this year on my brand new c24 wheels, once they cooled down they started working, almost like they were overheated. I slowly made my way home trying to keep pedaling even on the descents. Dropped by SEO Omiya where I bought them and they took it apart but couldn't find anything. So they decided to send it back to shimano, in the end I got a brand new wheel. No word on what actually went wrong though. Not very helpful for you, but you seem to have figured it out anyway :)

Siepker

Warming-Up
Oct 8, 2012
Okinawa
I'm having a similar problem with my Easton EA70 wheel with a Campy Freehub body.... going to try replacing the bearings as the wheels have spent some time racing in the mud on my SS Cross bike.

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
Setagaya
Looks like you got it sorted then.
I had the same problem occur on a descent down towards chichibu earlier this year on my brand new c24 wheels, once they cooled down they started working, almost like they were overheated. I slowly made my way home trying to keep pedaling even on the descents.
Yeah, everything seems to be working properly, now. Cheers. I must say, I'm surprised to hear that you had a similar problem with your c24s. I wonder what caused it? Pretty scary, huh? I've had this happen on two different sets of Mavics, and having to pedal constantly for the entire ride is no fun if you're not used to it (and know that the chain could fall into the spokes if you forget!)

You sure seem to have good luck when returning damaged products!

Was that something about ice-cream?
Just trying to be cute with a geeky pro cycling reference. I think I was hopped-up on strong coffee when I wrote that post. And yeah, GSAstuto makes some fine-looking wheels.

I'm having a similar problem with my Easton EA70 wheel with a Campy Freehub body.... going to try replacing the bearings as the wheels have spent some time racing in the mud on my SS Cross bike.
Sorry to hear that. I hope new bearings does the trick for you!

Deej