Sticky brifter - help?

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I was all set to just replace this brifter, but as the Rakuten shop turned me down I will see if anyone has any ideas.

Shimano 105 series right-side (i.e., rear mech) brake/shift lever ST-5700 RS.

Started sticking a while back. It's not the cable or housing. I checked. I've sprayed some WD40 equivalent in where I think the pivots are. Doesn't help much; maybe for a few goes it's OK then it starts sticking again.

See what I mean in this short movie.
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg121.imageshack.us%2Fimg121%2F7296%2Fsafariscreensnapz001l.jpg&hash=d4c71fc97b1f75f41407fa7139dc0133

Do you think there's any hope of a fix, or should I just replace it? I can't buy just one side at the moment; only pairs. Seems a helluva waste of money :(

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
In the past shimano would fix all parts for free or a small charge if you send them in. I've done this numerous times for break levers and front / rear derailleurs.

I would just send them in and put on another one that was lying around in the shop. A continuous rotation of brake levers and derraileurs.

However, I think they will only deal with 10 speed and above these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some lying around in the shop here (I found myself someone's disregarded 10 speed the other day).

Is it right - handed, 9 speed?

I'll have a scrounge for you tomorrow.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Is it right - handed, 9 speed?
Thanks for the offer, Andy. It's right-side, 10-speed. Just over a year old - the 2010 105 series with hidden shifter cables.

I have a 10s Ultegra brifter from 2006 newly-added to my parts bin, but I'm not sure if it's fully compatible with the gears and brakes.

Good to know that Shimano might fix the sticky brifter for me. Very good to know.

Can I send it to someone/somewhere direct? Or do I need to ask a bike shop to sort it?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Probably no 10 speeds knocking around. I still use 9 speed. I'm waiting for everyone to upgrade from 10 to 11 so I can pick up all their cast offs!

If yours is 10 speed and only a year old, I'm sure you can send it in for repairs.

As for cross-compatability, I've used lots of different shifters and I think I've used 105 for my Dura Ace set up before. I'm sure they are fully compatible. It was always one of Shimano's policies that you could upgrade part by part, so 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace should work together.

I'll double check about that at the shop tomorrow and also check about the Shimano returns policy.

In the past, I always sent parts in in my name as I was told that Shimano would deal with individual customers better. Again, will check tomorrow.

Andy

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
Panic over for now. I was taking my busted wheel to Nalsima to source a new rim, and so I pulled the brifter and took it along just in case.

Azami-san, who usually helps me with wheels, commented that it felt like it had been full of juice and then dried out. (This isn't the case, although it has had a couple of good drenchings in the rain.) Anyway he took it away, flushed it with something, adjusted a screw or two, and it's back to normal. Good voodoo.

So that's saved me a bunch of dollars. :) It would still be good to know where to send Shimano bits for servicing - there's bound to be a next time!

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Niigata
Glad you got that sorted.

For future reference, Shimano levers are cross compatible, even the old style and modern cable routing. Left side are completely compatible. Right side needs to be the same speed (8, 9, 10, 11) due to the number of "clicks" in the mechanism.

The part should be servicable by shimano here:

〒592-8331 大阪府堺市西区築港新町1-5-15 シマノセールス株式会社 品質管理センター
● フリーダイヤル TEL:0120‐50‐1622

受付時間
平日 午前10時~12時 午後1時~5時
土・日・祝日はFAXのみの受付

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

● フリーダイヤル FAX:0120‐50‐1633

受付時間 24時間

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad I checked the website as they are recalling some cranks. Mine failed while riding the other day, so I'll ring them tomorrow to see if I can get anything from them!

Andy