What's new

Help Sticking Brakes

Sheep

Maximum Pace
Jul 27, 2009
Searched the forums but can't find an answer and of course trust TCC over Google-sensei.

Is there any way to check if a sticky/rough-to-brake rear brake is the lever or brake cable, without actually dismantling it - I have an internal brake cable. I thought the lever was sticking, but suddenly today had the idea that it might just be the cable.

</thickie>

undo the cable from rear brake and then pull the lever, you should then be able to push the cable a bit from the rear releasing it from the lever, then see where the most friction is, in the cable or in the lever.

undo the cable from rear brake and then pull the lever, you should then be able to push the cable a bit from the rear releasing it from the lever, then see where the most friction is, in the cable or in the lever.

Proving that there's no shame in asking - thank you!

Cable needs replacing (a lot cheaper than the shifter).

Before you replace it try rotating it from both ends and see if that frees things up. How old is the cable in there? Cause they don't usually just suddenly get pinched. Are you going to replace inner and outer? If yes leave the inner in there as a guide for the new outer cable, then pull the old inner out and thread through the new inner, viola, violin? oh yeah voila!

Before you replace it try rotating it from both ends and see if that frees things up. How old is the cable in there? Cause they don't usually just suddenly get pinched. Are you going to replace inner and outer? If yes leave the inner in there as a guide for the new outer cable, then pull the old inner out and thread through the new inner, viola, violin? oh yeah voila!
It's been getting stickier for a while, so it wasn't really a sudden thing. It's a year old and has been through some rough weather.
I seem to recall many people recommending replacing inner and outer at the same time. Is this a myth?

Had no idea about using the inner as a guide - that could save me a lot of trouble!

Replace them together. Use the old outer as a measure before you cut the new cables and if you haven't already buy some quality cable cutters. Shimano ones work well. You can likely you tube the process if you are not sure.

Replace them together. Use the old outer as a measure before you cut the new cables and if you haven't already buy some quality cable cutters. Shimano ones work well. You can likely you tube the process if you are not sure.
Cheers. I replaced the cables on my other bike (bought the Shimano cable cutters for that), but that wasn't internal routing, which seems more scary...

Back
Top Bottom