stem conversion

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
I'm wondering if anyone here can help with this. I have an old bike, a Cannondale C600, probably about 15 years old. It was rebuilt some years back from its original specs--new wheels, crank/bb, derailleurs, shifters, brakes, headset..., the whole she-bang. But then I bought a road bike, so it's been little-used for a while. But it's a good bike, good rack on the back and some panniers when I need them.

It's close to perfect for touring, but the bars (straight) are a little too far forward (2-3cm), and it'd also help it they were a bit higher (maybe 2cm) than they are now. So tho I'd like to fix that, the problem is that has a quill stem that inserts into the head tube and fork, a one-piece deal, not the modern ahead type.

I thought I had it figured out, buy a converter and then an adjustable stem:
http://bike.com/deda-elementi-quill...twork&utm_campaign=05DTSTEM&avad=1403_db53821
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ritchey_Adjustable_Mountain_Bike_Stem/5360033931/

But after talking with one LBS (and them talking to their supplier), they say the converter has to go all the way in--there's no 'minimum insert line', and that given that, there's little chance of getting the bars to where I'd like them--even with a 120mm stem added they'd end up very close to where they are now. (I had been thinking that the converter (supposedly 135mm long) could stick up about 60-70mm out of the headset.)

Back to square one. And scour the net for some shop that might still have a suitable quill stem (old stock, like anybody's going to be doing a raging biz in such old stuff).

It's not really all that bad, and I did spend 5 days on this bike touring last summer. But this summer I've got the itch to go further/longer, and was thinking to make it fit a little better.

Any ideas or suggestions?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Is that seat post made by Girvin, or USE?
Rock Shock (usa), some kind of elastomer in it, adjustable but I keep it firm. It squishes down about a centimeter when I have my full weight on it. I open it up and lube it now and then with some stuff that came with it. Still have a second elastomer piece for it--unused but it might've aged from just sitting around. -->On edit: and given the frame design and the need for more post, I think that was the mtb version of their product.

Also, I took a printout of the link I focused on, above (cycle yoshida), to my shop and they were like "okay, sure, of course we can do it." But being sunday, they were busy. Will take the bike over and hammer out the details this week, wx permitting.