What's new

Article Steel, carbon? Nope, cardboard!

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Israeli bicycle made of cardboard to enter production

A bicycle made entirely of recycled materials is set to enter production within the next few months, says its Israeli inventor, Izhar Gafni. The full-size eco-bicycle will cost around £9 and weigh around 9kg, compared to an average of 14kg for metal bicycles.

Despite including no metal parts — even the brakes and wheels are made from recycled materials — the bicycles are both waterproof and fireproof. During testing, Mr Gafni said that he immersed a cross-section in a water tank for several months, and it suffered no damage at all.

Mr Gafni himself expressed surprise at the results, telling Reuters during a recent demonstration that he was "repeatedly surprised at just how strong this material is; it is amazing."

The bicycles will be made on largely automated production lines, supplemented by a workforce comprising of pensioners and the disabled. The eco-friendly business model means that rebates obtained for using "green materials" would entirely cancel out production costs. This could potentially lead to the product being given away for free in poor countries.

Mr Gafni believes that the bicycle has the potential to change the nature of transportation in both the developed and developing world, and predicted that in the distant future, cardboard could be used in cars and even aircraft. According to Mr Gafni's business partner, Nimrod Elmish, plans are in place for a range of products: "In six months, we will have completed planning production lines for an urban bike, which will be assisted by an electric motor; a bike for children in Africa; a balance bike for youngsters learning to ride; and a wheelchair that a non-profit group wants to build with our technology for Africa."

Cardboard+bike.JPG
[yt]txSboSNQINs[/yt]

Amazing!

The price alone had me reaching for the razor-blades...

That is a quid a kg.

How much have I spent to get a 6kg bike?!?!?!

Pretty impressive, especially the wheels and fork. Although I'm not sure if his vision for cardboard airplanes will, er, ever take off...

Haha. They would be flying in the face of convention to even dream that such a project would get off the ground.

Well, I've read quite alot about this. For sure cardboard is a decent substrate for composite mfg. But honestly, bamboo is far better! The resin / chemical requirements are far lower and you'll end up with something that actually looks halfway decent rather than something that looks like Fred Flintstein would be riding.

Esthetically interesting, but an engineering nightmare. You want to ride the wooden noodle? Then this is it! With no rear triangle and such small head tube support area even the slightest whisper of a pedal stroke will deflect this like a , well, noodle.

Kinda reminds me of a bike built by Gibson --- sorry, I'm a Fender kinda guy - and this bike won't whistle. At least not on my block.

Great idea and I hope it takes off, particularly in developing countries. Getting that kindi if rigidity from a cardboard frame is impressive.

At the other end of the scale, and also made from unusual materials, is this.

1350663179686-1gf1k38kpobt7-280-75.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/the-70000-wooden-bicycle-35571/

Back
Top Bottom