What's new

Help Stats for behavioral sciences

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Hey all,

I need some help so I thought I would ask the TCC community, in order for me to get on with my 3rd and 4th year courses I need to take two statistics courses. This is not my strong suit, I need a tutor for January or February if possible, in the Tokyo area. These are behavioral science specific statistics courses, and I have all the materials so all I need is your time and help to get me through these two courses that will be taken over two semesters.

Again these are not full statistics courses and as such they are not as intense, so they focus on standard deviation and so on for using research data to make generalized results out of a survey etc.

Please contact me for details, payment, dates, times, and whatever else.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

ask the TCC community, in order for me to get on with my 3rd and 4th year courses I need to take two statistics courses.

How on earth is TCC community related to the social statistics teaching?
I know some of us might look like social statistics teachers, but the probability of that is actually quite low. I wouldn't even bother asking :D

Seriously, you should try more general forums like jref.com or similar.

Everyone here has been helpful and they are, for the most part, great people so I want to ask. You never know.

Dude, this is the "general" forum so that's why I posted here...

I'm a newcomer to this BBS and I'm not going to comment on whether or not asking for help in statistics is a proper use of it.

But as for the question of whether or not it's likely to get a helpful answer, I'd guess that yes it is. Actually I for one can immediately think of two acquaintances who'd be hugely well qualified to tutor in stats. Both are certainly far too busy, but one or the other might know of a qualified, bright and hungry PhD student or similar who'd be interested.

From the course description:

Students will receive all course materials including the textbooks in their course package.

1. Gravetter, F. J. and L. B. Wallnau. Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. 8th ed.. Nelson Education Ltd. , 2008. [...]

I have a copy of this myself.

these are not full statistics courses and as such they are not as intense, so they focus on standard deviation and so on for using research data to make generalized results out of a survey etc.

I see just one course, PSYC 2101. It's described only vaguely. However, we do at least know what the coursebook is. This doesn't not look so big, but its appearance is deceiving: it has a lot of (curiously thin) pages. (If I remember right, there are two versions. Mine is the cheaper one, for the third world, which helpfully includes Asia and therefore Japan. One or two inessential chapters are missing, but otherwise it's the same as what's sold in north America. Maybe different paper and binding though.) So your description of it is quite an understatement. You'd better highlight "and so on" in fluorescent yellow, write wiggly red lines under it, and add a few "!!!" to it. If you're really supposed to master the content of this one book (or even just half its content), you have weeks and weeks of work ahead of you.

Yeah I get it, but where are you supposed to turn when you need some help?
I've asked friends, schools, co-workers, and a tutor website in Japan.

You have to ask questions to find what your looking for, so I'm trying to get more info like the other sites that were mentioned.

I'm a newcomer to this BBS and I'm not going to comment on whether or not asking for help in statistics is a proper use of it.

But as for the question of whether or not it's likely to get a helpful answer, I'd guess that yes it is. Actually I for one can immediately think of two acquaintances who'd be hugely well qualified to tutor in stats. Both are certainly far too busy, but one or the other might know of a qualified, bright and hungry PhD student or similar who'd be interested.

From the course description:

I have a copy of this myself.

I see just one course, PSYC 2101. It's described only vaguely. However, we do at least know what the coursebook is. This doesn't not look so big, but its appearance is deceiving: it has a lot of (curiously thin) pages. (If I remember right, there are two versions. Mine is the cheaper one, for the third world, which helpfully includes Asia and therefore Japan. One or two inessential chapters are missing, but otherwise it's the same as what's sold in north America. Maybe different paper and binding though.) So your description of it is quite an understatement. You'd better highlight "and so on" in fluorescent yellow, write wiggly red lines under it, and add a few "!!!" to it. If you're really supposed to master the content of this one book (or even just half its content), you have weeks and weeks of work ahead of you.

I don't need to master these courses as my major is psychology, so I just need to pass. I'm a full time student so I have plenty of time to complete the necessary work.

I'll send you a PM.

First, I'd think hard about what your situation is and what's needed. If you level with yourself about where you stand and what you need, you can explain it straightforwardly to a potential tutor and increase your chances of success.

Is there one course, or are there more than one? Do you have to master the content of this coursebook, or only certain parts of it, or this coursebook and more besides? The course whose description I glanced at was I think advertised as two semesters' work; would Jan-Feb come at the start of this, midway, or the end? Have you started; and if so, are you lost already? Are you using stats software; and if so, which? Etc etc.

Hey, I passed something like that. Biggest problem were the shitty software and bad examples. But cheer up, at least it doesn't include regression analysis.

I just sent a PM.

No I have not started, I can start courses at the beginning of any month, yes they come with software. The rest is in the PM.

Hey, I passed something like that. Biggest problem were the shitty software and bad examples. But cheer up, at least it doesn't include regression analysis.

Actually there's a section on regression, but it's an introduction so hopefully not too bad

I made a posting on JRF but they asked me to put it in the services wanted section, and there are no other postings in that section. But thanks.

I will try the others as well because I need this and can't really be picky about where I post, thanks for the suggestions.

Contact some of the international schools - I know TIS, YIS and a few others have teachers that will no doubt be able to help you - however be prepared to pay up and over of 3,000 JPY per hour for thier tuition.

I'll do it (While we cycle somewhere.) 3000Y per hour.

I have no experience in teaching this subject but am happy to help.

I am away this weekend but will be back for some mountain action the next weekend I am happy to start then.

Contact some of the international schools - I know TIS, YIS and a few others have teachers that will no doubt be able to help you - however be prepared to pay up and over of 3,000 JPY per hour for thier tuition.

Thanks for the idea and I will contact that "YIS", what is the nonabarevaited name?
I contacted TIS and they told me that I have to be a registed student there to recieve tutoring, so I would need to take an extra course just to get help with another one:confused:

I'll do it (While we cycle somewhere.) 3000Y per hour.

I have no experience in teaching this subject but am happy to help.

I am away this weekend but will be back for some mountain action the next weekend I am happy to start then.

I will send a PM

I'm throwing darts, but maybe contact J. D. Brown at Temple (also Hawaii). It's been awhile, but he was teaching stats there, and given a brief email to him, he may recommend a present or past student of his that might help.

Back
Top Bottom