What's new

Help "Start a Conversation"

Sibreen

Maximum Pace
Jul 23, 2010
A couple of queries:

1. Is there a way to "Start a Conversation" with a user from his or her profile page?

2. In any given thread, to the left of every post is the profile pic, name, and select stats of the user who posted it; there is also a "Start a Conversation" button. When this is clicked, a black subscreen is opened over the top of the same thread page, with the title of the thread in the subject line (this is very neat).
However, the bottom of this black subscreen extends beyond the bottom of the page so that I can only see 90% of the subscreen (scrolling to the bottom of the page doesn't change this). If the message I want to write is short this presents no problems but, as the message gets longer, it pushes the bottom of the subscreen further and further down until I can no longer see the "Start a Conversation" or "Cancel" buttons, making it impossible for the conversation to be started. Is this a simple fix?

I am using Chrome 36.0.1985.143 (the latest version) on OSX 10.6.3 (an old version).

Thanks!

If I click instead on your picture I see your profile. "Start a conversation" from there brings up a normal (non-modular) page with scroll bars etc.

I suppose this might help if your monitor is 640 x 480 resolution and hails from 1986.

screen.jpg

Last edited:
Jeepers, that's a cracking screen @Half-Fast Mike - what make/model is it??

Ah, ok. My screen resolution is 1280x800. Maybe that's the problem.

"Ctrl" and "-" or a scroll wheel on your mouse should help you out, maybe.

Just checked and, yep, the entire subscreen fits if I go to 75% magnification.
Seems I need a new computer. Will check the TCC classifieds now.

1. Is there a way to "Start a Conversation" with a user from his or her profile page?

Yes. Click on the 'Information' tab. There is an option to Start a Conversation at the bottom of this section.

Just checked and, yep, the entire subscreen fits if I go to 75% magnification.
Seems I need a new computer. Will check the TCC classifieds now.

What computer do you have? Is this a Macbook of some sorts? Which model?

@Half-Fast Mike

All of these files were downloaded illegally from The Pirate Bay;

Untitled-2.png

Set your screen resolution to 1200 x 800.

Click in "Inbox" in the top right, select "Start Conversation", enter the username of the person you wish to conversate with.

Set your screen resolution to 100%.

75% is zoomed out, so 100% will make the problem worse. On a 1280x800 res screen, there should not be problems like this, so I suspect shenanigans; I am going to hazard a guess that he has not got his GPU set to the max res possible, and has then had to zoom everything out to compensate; kind of like when you have the line input set below 0db on an audio track and then have to wrestle it back into shape with post-fx make-up gain.

The box does get bigger if someone decides to write a tome, and 800 pixels would be too small for it when it's bigger. You should redesign the site for all those Vietnamese secondary school IT students using repurposed CRT monitors donated during the last round of technology upgrades by the Japanese Ministry for Technology in 2013, and Si.

75% must be the zoom in the browser window only.

Yes, 75% will be the zoom out in the browser. This will be necessary to compensate for the fact that he has not got his GPU set to maximum in the preferences.

@Sibreen Do a screenshot of your whole screen, and don't edit it, or cut any of it off. Post it exactly as it is, so I can measure it. I have hard-limited the Start a Conversation dialog that popups up to around 700-720px (depending on fonts used on your OS, etc.), so if you are using an 800 height res GPU, then this should not be throwing it over the edge of anything, especially if you have your browser zoomed out to 75%. I think you don't have your GPU set to maximum in your OS. Have a look in your Display settings; it may be that you have it set to 800x600 or something like that.

If none of this helps, then you are just going to have to leave the forum and never return again (after posting one final, sorrowful status update telling everyone about your plight).

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes. Click on the 'Information' tab. There is an option to Start a Conversation at the bottom of this section.
Great, thanks!

I have an old(er) 13" MacBook. The screen resolution is set to 1280x800. When I said "75% magnification", this was indeed for the browser window only. In terms of the Start a Conversation dialog popup being hard-limited to 700-720px limit, my usable browser real estate is less than 800px as I have the Mac toolbar thingy at the top of the screen, then three lines of Chrome toolbar thingies (tabs, address, bookmarks), before I get to the active webpage itself.

So, 1280x800 resolution is officially not supported on this website, and will not be programmed for.
Ok, that makes sense.
What is the minimum supported resolution, and how long do you expect this to be the case for?

What is the minimum supported resolution, and how long do you expect this to be the case for?

On a desktop / laptop? 1920x1080.

This will last as long as this remains the standard.

If you are looking to get a new system, just get any modern rig. Most (out on a limb; all) GPUs go up to 2048x1536 nowadays, so that will cover you for a while.

Back
Top Bottom